[Peace] My comments on This week's AWARE ON THE AIR

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Sat May 20 13:57:47 UTC 2017

Spell check has changed the word revolution to evolution, in the last paragraph, a significant difference.

On May 20, 2017, at 06:52, Karen Aram via Peace <peace at lists.chambana.net<mailto:peace at lists.chambana.net>> wrote:

 I agree with both Carl and W.B. Michaels, the Black Agenda Report etc., and what they have to say in  respect to the definition and genesis of Identity Politics, but I wonder how we would have reacted during the 60’s in relation to the Civil Rights movement? That was certainly IP, but it was something very necessary, way past due, and did bring about equality for many. Not all, given our neoliberal, capitalist system. It was however, a first step in the process. MLK recognized this fact and had he not been murdered by the USG, he would have continued in this endeavor. Not to give all credit to MLK as most of the groundwork had been completed when CORE etc., invited him to take a leading role. My point, is when viewing various programs, organizations I think we must be cautious not to judge too quickly whether they be IP or not. That being said, we need to also determine what is meant by "support." Diluting the anti-war movement, our program on AOTA, should be guarded against, and calls to focus on either local issues or IP, as well as the “ iscussions" related to IP become a "distraction" in and of themselves, from US foreign policy which is diluting funds from necessary social services across the nation, killing millions and flooding Europe with refugees, and creating chaos for all.

I also agree with Stuarts suggestion that we reach across the aisle to support other groups, in an effort to unite. I refer to that as “ evolution 101" as only when groups unite in common cause against a government that is corrupt, unjust, and abusive will there be any chance for success. Remaining divided on issues, is exactly what IP was designed to accomplish. Though I myself have failed in my efforts to unite with others, I support those who do try, and hope they are successful, otherwise as the film “Obey” clearly points out, we are doomed.