[Peace] Free for the taking: Good books and bad beer - August 25

kmedina67 kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 04:12:29 UTC 2018

 Dear peace,  Just a reminder, some of Carl Estabrook's books are up for grabs so bring a strong bag.  Why buy a great book when Carl is willing to give you the book off his shelf?  - Karen Medina"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great" - Mark Twain

-------- Original message --------From: C G Estabrook via Peace-discuss <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> Date: 8/10/18  11:46  (GMT-06:00) To: Peace Discuss <peace-discuss at anti-war.net> Subject: [Peace-discuss] Good books and bad beer - August 25
GOOD BOOKS AND BAD BEER - AUGUST 25

Dear friends,

After 32 years at 5 Litchfield Lane in Champaign, my bride and I are moving to more manageable quarters.

In pursuit of felicity, I have in those years acquired a number of books and a fair number of bottles of bad beer.

Will you come help relieve me of these burdens on Saturday August 25, from 5pm to 8?

We’ll have a first floor and a basement of books for the taking and a dining room of miscellaneous beer for the drinking. The books are generally better than the the beers, but that’s probably true in life - in spite of Housman’s despairing asseveration, “...malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man.”

What Ben Franklin is supposed to have said was probably closer to the truth: “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” (A Francophile, he was probably actually speaking of wine.)

You’re welcome to take the books (and the beer) you like. It would please me if friends enjoyed books I’ve enjoyed. (That’s not so possible with the beer, but you’re welcome to that too.) Bring a bag to carry the books, and a thirst to accommodate the beer.

Leigh and I look forward to seeing you 5-8pm on the  25th.

Regards, Carl