[Peace] Carl's posting related to alignment of "war and abortion"

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:08:26 UTC 2018

Carl’s letter to the NG below is fine, it’s his opinion and he has a right to express his opinion , placing it on FB along with the Peace Discuss List, is also his right. However, when he places it on the AWARE FB page, where he represents the AWARE group, I must object. I now see why the group has failed to recruit new members, and has lost many from previous years, given its affiliation with anti-abortion issues, not just war, that along with the election of Obama, on the assumption he was a peace candidate.

Carl is right on target, when his focus is on anti-war, which is why I have always supported him and AWARE, but now he has taken AWARE to the “right,” along with his apologist attitude towards Trump, thus I recommend the ANSWER Coalition with their local group now in Champaign, for those interested in supporting the anti-war movement.

Please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.N.S.W.E.R.

Please also see Carl’s letter on the AWARE FB page below:

"Anti-war and anti-abortion efforts belong together. The contemporary anti-war movement grows out of the appalling fact that the US government has killed more than 20 million people in almost 40 nations since World War II - and has done so to maintain the economic control of the world that the US inherited as the only largely undamaged major country after that war.

Abortion is the leading cause of death in the US today. An abortion obviously ends a human life; it ought to be opposed by all of us who say that our political views are that we’re “against anything that kills people or destroys the planet we live on."

But most of my friends who’ve had an abortion or seriously considered it have done so for economic reasons. Most of them privileged people, they have been unable to countenance the burdens, financial and personal, that would come with a(nother) child. That’s clearly even more the case for those who lack their privileges.

Those of us opposed to the destruction of human life - at home or abroad, before or after birth - must also be opposed to the circumstances that lead people to end unborn human lives. Medicare for all, child supports, free education, and a universal basic income must be insisted upon by those of us who are opposed to abortion and war.”