[Peace] this week: re-entry program speaker / a play: Mountaintop / Malcolm X event

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 17:48:12 UTC 2018

Dear Peace,

Below: 3 upcoming events that some of you might want to attend.
1) Susan Burton, a passionate advocate for women leaving prison,
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
2) play: Mountaintop,Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday May 17-20, 2018
3) Malcolm X Day event, Saturday, May 19, 2018

 1) Susan Burton will speak about her experiences as a formerly
incarcerated person, an individual in recovery, a movement builder, a
passionate advocate for women leaving prison and in the fight against
mass incarceration. Susan Burton is an inspiration to all those who
value social justice. // Susan Burton is the founder of “A New Way of
Life” -- a model reentry program for women, and author of “Becoming
Ms. Burton : from prison to recovery to leading the fight for
incarcerated women” -- a book about her personal journey of abuse,
addiction, incarceration, AND empowerment.

Where: Pilgrim Baptist Church / 1310 N. 6th Street, Champaign
Time: 7pm - 9pm
Date: Tuesday May 15, 2018
All are welcome.
[Both local libraries have copies of the book: call number 365.973
BUR. But some copies are currently out.
https://cucatalog.org/polaris/search/title.aspx?ctx=6.1033.0.0.1&pos=1
]

2) A play: The Mountaintop
assassination of the civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
On April 3 1968, after delivering one of his most memorable speeches,
an exhausted Dr. King retires to his room at the Lorraine Motel while
a storm rages outside. When a mysterious stranger arrives with some
surprising news, King is forced to confront his destiny and his legacy
to his people.

Where: Sodo Theatre, 114 S. Neil St.
Thursday, 05/17/2018 - 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday, 05/18/2018 - 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday, 05/19/2018 - 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday, 05/20/2018 -- I am still looking for the details about this

3) 2nd Annual Malcolm X Day - Champaign/Urbana

Who was Malcolm X really, and why does he persist in our collective
memory? Join us as we celebrate him and discuss the importance of his
legacy on Saturday May 19th from 3 - 6 PM at the Independent Media
Center. Please contact the hosts if you're a local Black business or
organization who'd like to set up a table during the event.