[Peace] [Peace-discuss] Scahill interviews Chomsky

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:17:21 UTC 2018

What is the definition of “war criminal,” is it someone who commits war crimes during battle, not following the US Pentagon manual on “Rules of Engagement?” They were “rewritten and updated” in 2015 allowing all manner of that which goes against the Geneva Convention.

Does one deserve the title of “war criminal” when defending their sovereign nation, from foreign intervention, bombings, destruction and occupation?

I’m not looking for a “legal definition of “war criminal" necessarily. I consider a “war criminal” one who attacks a sovereign nation, uses drones, chemical weapons, conventional weapons, bombs, etc. in an attempt to occupy.

When was the last time Syria, under the Assad Administration, invaded a sovereign nation?

Is Assad any more ruthless and awful than Saddam was?  Than Netanyahu, the leaders of the SKA, UAE, UK, France, Germany etc ?

Does the use of “imprisonment and torture” of ones own people, lend the title of “war criminal” to a leader?

Those defined as “war criminals” were executed at Nuremberg, so it is a term that should not be applied lightly.

I know a lot of people I don’t consider “nice” and in my lifetime, have turned down for dinner, so I don’t consider that an egregious term when applied to a nation’s leader. Especially the leader of a nation, surrounded by Nato, with no good intentions whatsoever.