[Peace] [Peace-discuss] AWARE demo - Saturday, 2-4pm - let's end US war on Yemen

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 17:57:15 UTC 2018

Though I wasn't able to fit this on two sides of a single page flyer, it
did fit on one side of a full sheet.

I've printed a bunch of these and will bring them.    Karen M. is making
some new signs and so am I.

Attached is a copy of the flyer.   It draws on things that Bob Naiman
has written or shared in the recent past.  Mr. Naiman, thank you.

==========

  The Saudi Arabia-led war in Yemen
  has created the world’s largest humanitarian crisis.

  Our US government actively supports that war.
  Without US support, it would end.

  But opposition in Congress is at a tipping point.
  We can stop the war in Yemen.

The war in Yemen has raged since 2015, as a coalition of Saudi Arabia
and the United Arab Emirates try to displace Houthis who control much of
the country. *The US contributes **directly **to this war*– with arms
sales and UN Security Council support, and with services such as in-air
refueling of Saudi jets.

This war serves no interest of the US, except in giving us a reason to
sell billions of dollars in arms to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. It is a
regional dispute between the Saudis and Iran – a proxy war fought in Yemen.

Thousands of Yemenis have been killed, millions displaced, and manymore
are at risk, as the Saudi/UAE coalition attacks the port of Hodeida, the
entry point for most humanitarian aid. Eight million people are on the
verge of famine, and ten million more could soon be if the situation
does not improve, says the UN. It appears to be the deliberate policy of
Saudi Arabia to starve the civilian population, starting with their 2015
bombing of wastewater treatment plants.[1] Cholera is now rampant in
Yemen – the largest epidemic in the world, with 1.1 million cases since
April, 2017.

/*Our representatives *//*may*//*listen to us.*////In 2013, when the US,
UK, and France were on the verge of bombing Syria, a vote in the British
Parliament failed – its members did not want that war. At the same time,
//the US Congress was considering a vote as well, and members of both
parties were flooded with calls from their constituents – people of the
US did not want that war, either. President Obama called off the planned
attack./

A bipartisan bill[2] in the US Congress, *HConRes. 138, *invokes the War
Powers Act, insisting that the
US military be forbidden from supporting the war in Yemen unless
Congress votes for it to be there.

*Call our Rep. Rodney Davis, 202-225-2371, *and urge him to *support
**H**C**onRes. 138, *the bill to*stop US support of the war in Yemen.
Without US support, the war might well end.
***
[1] https://www.rt.com/news/440140-saudi-arabia-yemen-eu/
[2]
https://www.thenation.com/article/centrist-house-democrats-join-the-progressive-movement-to-stop-the-war-on-yemen/

/*Thanks to Robert Naiman of Just Foreign Policy, who has been fighting
this atrocity from its beginnings.

*This flyer is being distributed by AWARE, the Anti-War Anti-Racism
Effort of Champaign-Urbana. Look for us
on facebook. We demonstrate monthly against the wars at Main&Neil,
downtown Champaign, 2-4PM, first Saturdays./

=======