[Peace] News from Neptune, August 31, 2018

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 03:53:45 UTC 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAwC0wSQ_4

News From Neptune - Episode #393.
Friday, August 31, 2018

{INTRO} Good evening, & welcome to News from Neptune for the 35th week of 2018. I’m Carl Estabrook.

Historians consider a generation to be about 25 years - the time it takes for you to get to the age your parents are now.

For more than a generation (since 1990), this program has been a weekly hour of spontaneous & unrehearsed discussion of the news of the week and its coverage by the media - first, on a so-called community radio station - and now via Urbana Public TV and YouTube. (Earlier editions of this program are available at <archive.org>. )

~ Our program’s name, News from Neptune, comes from Noam Chomsky, who’s been writing sensible things about U.S. politics for two generations and more.

~ Chomsky says that in the U.S. media, “Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it’s from Neptune.”
Tonight David Green & I will try to say some true things -
with thanks to Dr Know, J. B. Nicholson, for research.
KNOW’S NOTES are posted on the NEWS FROM NEPTUNE fb page.

We try to bear in mind the murdered Rosa Luxemburg’s remark, from a century ago - “The most revolutionary thing one can do is always to proclaim loudly what is happening.”

This is a “Celebrate U.S. Ethics” edition. (The little university down the street is giving an ethics award to a child-killer next week - another indication [were it necessary] of the perversity of both the presidency and the academy).

David and I will begin with lists of topics from the week’s news...
{OUTRO} You've been watching News from Neptune for the 35th week of 2018 on August 31 - the last day of the anniversary month of two great crimes of the 20th century - the U.S. atomic attacks on civilians in two Japanese cities - after the war was won.

The point was to kill enough people to deter Russia and proclaim U.S. hegemony over the Asia-Pacific.

Not surprisingly, that remains a cornerstone of U.S. foreign policy today, while the U.S. economic empire fights relative decline.

News from Neptune is presented by C. G. Estabrook & David Green; - produced & directed by Jason Liggett, Ethan Young, & Andrew Scolari.

This has been a “Celebrate U.S. Ethics” edition. (The little university down the street is giving an ethics award to a child-killer next week - another indication [were it necessary] of the perversity of both the presidency and the academy).

Our thanks to research director Dr. Know, J. B. Nicholson, the Third Man on News from Neptune. KNOW’S NOTES are posted on the NEWS FROM NEPTUNE fb page.

There’s an antiwar demonstration tomorrow in downtown Champaign, from 2 to 4pm, at Main & Neil, sponsored by the Anti-war Anti-racism Effort of C-U (AWARE).

Inshallah, we’ll be back next week with a new edition of News from Neptune - to remind you, in the words of Edward de Vere (from *The Tempest*),

"...what's past is prologue, what to come
In yours and my discharge."

In the meantime, confusion to our enemies, and a good night to you.

###