[Peace] Progressive Caucus Leads Renewed Congressional Effort to End Illegal U.S.-Saudi War in Yemen

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Sep 27 00:02:32 UTC 2018

https://twitter.com/repmarkpocan/status/1045047100000612352

Thanks to @USProgressives @RepRoKhanna & @RepAdamSmith, @HouseDemocrats are
uniting to end the devastating US-Saudi war in Yemen. We are grateful for
@WhipHoyer, @RepEliotEngel, & @NitaLowey's involvement

https://cpc-grijalva.house.gov/press-releases/cpc-leads-
renewed-congressional-effort-to-end-illegal-ussaudi-war-in-yemen2/

*CPC Leads Renewed Congressional Effort to End Illegal U.S.-Saudi War in
Yemen*

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:*

September 26, 2018

*Press Contacts:*

Ron Boehmer <ron.boehmer at mail.house.gov> (Pocan)

Geoff Nolan <geoff.nolan at mail.house.gov> (Grijalva)

*Washington, D.C.* – Congressional Progressive Caucus Vice Chair Ro Khanna
(CA-17), CPC Member and ranking Democrat on House Armed Services Committee
Adam Smith (WA-09), as well as CPC Co-Chairs Mark Pocan (WI-02) and Raúl M.
Grijalva (AZ-03) led a bipartisan group of two dozen lawmakers today in
introducing *H.Con.Res. 138*, a privileged resolution to end unauthorized
U.S. military participation in Saudi Arabia's war against Yemen’s Houthi
rebels. The three-year-old U.S.-Saudi military campaign has triggered the
world’s worst humanitarian crisis, leading the United Nations to warn
<https://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/briefing-security-council-humanitarian-situation-yemen-under-secretary-general>
of
imminent, widespread famine.

The lawmakers are invoking the War Powers Resolution of 1973 to force a
floor vote to terminate U.S. military activities that constitute
unauthorized hostilities such as midair U.S. refueling for Saudi-led
coalition warplanes conducting airstrikes in Yemen as well as targeting
assistance for the bombings. The congressional effort comes just two weeks
after the Trump Administration defied legal checks on U.S. participation in
the Saudi war by falsely certifying to Congress that the Saudi-led
coalition was making “every effort
<https://dod.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1628689/statement-by-secretary-of-defense-james-n-mattis-on-actions-of-saudi-arabia-and/source/GovDelivery/>”
to reduce civilian casualties resulting from its bombing campaign in order
to continue U.S. midair refueling for Saudi-led airstrikes. Civilian deaths
have skyrocketed
<https://www.rescue.org/press-release/civilian-deaths-yemen-164-united-states-recertifies-support-war>
in
recent weeks.

The Saudi regime has paired a deadly air campaign, which in August killed
40 Yemeni children with a U.S.-supplied bomb
<https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/09/world/yemen-airstrikes-intl/>,
with a blockade on Yemen’s major port, preventing adequate food, medicine
and fuel from reaching 75 percent of Yemen’s population in need of
humanitarian assistance. As a result of fresh military escalations, aid
group Save the Children warned
<https://www.savethechildren.org/us/about-us/media-and-news/2018-press-releases/yemen-additional-one-million-children-risk-of-famine>
that
an additional 1 million Yemeni children are threatened by starvation.

The congressional effort follows a similar measure introduced by Reps.
Khanna, Pocan, Massie, and Jones in September 2017, H.Con.Res. 81
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/81>,
which obtained over 50 cosponsors in support of ending the U.S.-Saudi war.
In March 2018, CPC founding member Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) advanced
<https://cpc-grijalva.house.gov/press-releases/cpc-applauds-bipartisan-group-of-senators-for-forcing-firstever-senate-vote-to-end-unconstitutional-war-in-yemen/>
companion resolution with Senators Lee (R-UT) and Murphy (D-CT), which
secured 44 votes in support.

Reps. Khanna, Smith and the CPC Co-Chairs were joined today by Ranking
Members Jim McGovern (MA-02) Eliot Engel (NY-16), and Nita Lowey (NY-17),
Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (MD-05), and Reps. Jan Schakowsky (IL-09),
Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02), Thomas Massie (KY-04), Michael Capuano (MA-07),
Yvette Clarke (NY-09), Ted Lieu (CA-33), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Beto O’Rourke
(TX-16), Adriano Espaillat (NY-13), Joe Kennedy (Ma-04), Joe Courtney
(CT-2), Gwen Moore (WI-04), Walter Jones (NC-03), Debbie Dingell (MI-12),
Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), Peter DeFazio (OR-04), Earl Blumenauer (OR-03),
Ted Deutch (FL-22), and Peter Welch (VT-AL).

“When I introduced a similar War Powers resolution last year, I, along with
Reps. Pocan, Massie, and Jones, were among a small group of members of
Congress calling for an end to the U.S. involvement in the Saudi War in
Yemen. One year later, the bloodshed continues with widespread destruction
and disease contributing to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
U.S.-fueled planes continue to drop U.S.-made bombs on innocent victims,”
said *Rep. Khanna.* “This time around, our coalition to end the war has
expanded and the call for withdrawing U.S. involvement is louder. This
policy started by a few original cosponsors of our War Powers resolution is
now supported by Whip Hoyer, the ranking members of the House Armed
Services, Foreign Affairs, Rules and Appropriations Committees, and it is
now a mainstream position within the Democratic Party. In fact, 44 U.S.
Senators, including the Democratic Leader and Whip, voted in favor of a
similar War Powers resolution. I am confident the House Republican
leadership will allow this resolution to come to a vote and that members of
the House will hear from their constituents in support of our position
against this unauthorized war contributing to Yemen’s humanitarian
catastrophe.”

“Yemen is facing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world right now that
has been significantly exacerbated by the civil war. The impact of the
Saudi-coalition’s actions on the dire humanitarian crisis is undeniable,”
said *Rep. Adam Smith*. “The U.S. should be aggressively pushing a peaceful
solution to end this civil war instead of supporting the Saudi-led
coalition military campaign that has only destabilized the crisis further.
We must make it clear that U.S. should not be choosing sides in this civil
war while the people of Yemen continue to suffer.”

“The world’s worst humanitarian crisis has been triggered by our secretive,
illegal war in Yemen waged alongside the Saudi regime. I am proud to join
my progressive and conservative colleagues in co-leading this vital effort
to force the House of Representatives to finally debate and vote on
removing U.S. forces from this senseless conflict,” said *Rep. Pocan*. “As
the Saudis use famine as a weapon of war, starving millions of innocent
Yemenis to near death, the United States fuels, coordinates and provides
bombs for Saudi airstrikes, and secretly deploys the military to
participate in on-the-ground operations with Saudi troops. We must work
across the aisle to rein in our unauthorized involvement in this tragedy by
reasserting our constitutional duty over war and peace.”

“Our country has no business aiding and abetting the perpetrators of the
humanitarian crisis in Yemen,” said *Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva.* “The secretive
and illegal U.S. involvement in a war that has resulted in thousands of
deaths, mass starvation, and rampant destruction deserves to be exposed and
condemned. It’s time for Congress to stop behaving as a subservient peon of
the White House, reassert itself as a co-equal branch of government, and
end the U.S. military involvement in Yemen, which is only exacerbating an
unstable situation.”

“The actions of the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen are fast-approaching the
level of crimes against humanity,” said *Rep. McGovern.* “The United States
must send a clear and unambiguous message to Saudi Arabia – their actions
are unacceptable to the international community and will not be tolerated
by the United States. As millions of Yemenis face senseless violence,
starvation, and disease, America cannot remain a complicit and passive
partner in carrying out one of the world’s greatest humanitarian crises.”

“Congress never authorized military action in Yemen as our Constitution
requires, yet we continue to fund and assist Saudi Arabia in this tragic
conflict,” said *Rep. Massie.* “It’s long past time Congress held a debate
and vote as to whether U.S. soldiers and personnel should be involved in
this war.”

“The United States is complicit in the humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen.
The Saudi-Emirati coalition has unleashed unthinkable horrors on the
civilians of Yemen, and it is shameful that the U.S. is participating in
this war,” said *Rep. Barbara Lee.* “This war was never voted on by
Congress. In the face of unspeakable carnage and suffering, the United
States should be building a pathway to peace – not supporting a coalition
that bombs civilians. Congress needs to make its voice heard and demand an
end to U.S. participation in this inhumane war.”

“Congress has a constitutional responsibility to authorize and provide
oversight of military conflicts.  We have done neither for the conflict in
Yemen – where our military has supported airstrikes that have killed scores
of innocent civilians, including children,” said *Rep. Lieu. *“Enforcing
the role of Congress in overseeing U.S. involvement in conflicts abroad
guarantees that this issue will finally receive the critical debate it
deserves.”

“For too long, the United States has turned a blind eye to the horrifying
atrocities committed against Yemeni civilians by the Saudi-U.S. coalition,
killing, maiming and starving innocent civilians since the start of this
genocidal war in 2015,” said *Rep. Gabbard.* “Even after Saudi Arabia
dropped a bomb on a school bus that killed 40 children last month, the
Trump Administration reaffirmed its support for this illegal war, which
Congress has never approved. The U.S. must end its support for Saudi Arabia
now.”

“As Democrats search for a foreign-policy vision that inspires voters and
reflects a clean break with the endless militarism of the Washington
establishment, we applaud the Congressional Progressive Caucus and its
leaders, such as Reps. Khanna, Smith, and Pocan, for their moral clarity as
they chart a course toward stronger constitutional governance and less
human suffering,” said *David Segal, Executive Director, Demand Progress*.
“This resolution promises to put a decisive end to the famine, disease, and
bombings that threaten tens of millions in Yemen by relying on a simple
principle: war must first be debated and voted on by the people’s elected
representatives. Demand Progress is proud to support this measure to employ
sunlight and democracy to rein in the secretive and devastating military
campaigns that the Executive Branch has pursued under both parties.”

"For far too long, the United States has fueled the suffering in Yemen. Our
military's continued support for the Saudi and UAE led coalition, even in
the face of repeated war crimes, must immediately end. We are grateful that
a bipartisan group of members of Congress, led by Rep. Ro Khanna, HASC
Ranking Member Adam Smith, and CPC Co-Chair Mark Pocan, are leading the
charge to put an end to our unauthorized role in this deadly war,”
said *Stephen
Miles, Director at Win Without War. *“We call on all members of Congress to
join them and help finally end the world's largest man-made humanitarian
crisis."

"As a result of American support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen, millions
are facing starvation and the country is battling what may be the worst
cholera epidemic in history,” said *Kaili Lambe, Organizing Director at
CREDO Action*. “American-made bombs have killed civilians – many of them
children, all without explicit authorization from Congress. It is crucial
that Congress assert its responsibility and vote to end U.S. support for
the war in Yemen by supporting the legislation sponsored by Reps. Khanna,
Pocan and Smith.”

"This resolution should be a no-brainer for Congress. What more do they
need to finally end this tragedy? If they're not persuaded by the fact that
the U.S. is engaging in unauthorized warfare, the growing civilian body
count should demand their attention,” said *Elizabeth Beavers, Associate
Policy Director at for Indivisible*. “This is the world's largest
humanitarian crisis, and blood is on the hands of those who do not act to
stop it."

“This House resolution offers a glimmer of hope to the suffering people of
Yemen because if the U.S. withdraws its support for the Saudi-led bombing,
a negotiated settlement is sure to follow,” said *Medea Benjamin,
co-director at CODEPINK.* “Let's make sure the August bombing of a busload
of children marks a turning point in US policy.”

“As Quakers, we support legislation to end U.S. involvement in the
Saudi-led war that is slaughtering men, women, and children in Yemen. By
refueling Saudi and Emirati jets as they bomb civilians, the U.S. is
enabling the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. We applaud
Representatives Ro Khanna, Adam Smith, and Mark Pocan for their bipartisan
initiative to reassert Congress’ constitutional authority to end this
illegal war,” said *Diane Randall, Executive Secretary, Friends Committee
on National Legislation (FCNL)*, a Quaker lobby in the public interest.
“Quakers and friends across the country are mobilizing to urge their
members of Congress to support this initiative and end this illegal war.”

"Just Foreign Policy strongly welcomes the bipartisan initiative of Reps.
Khanna, Smith, Pocan, Massie and others to invoke the War Powers Resolution
to force a floor vote to end unconstitutional U.S. participation in the
Saudi regime's biblically-catastrophic war and blockade in Yemen,” said *Robert
Naiman, Policy Director at Just Foreign Policy*. “The Saudi regime is
deliberately causing famine in Yemen and deliberately helping strengthen Al
Qaeda in Yemen. These barbaric Saudi policies that are hurting Americans
will stop when the United States government stops illegally enabling them.
We expect the long-overdue House invocation of its war powers to end this
abomination to be a decisive step towards asserting Constitutional war
powers to end other unconstitutional wars and towards preventing
unconstitutional wars in the future."

"The war in Yemen being waged by the Saudi and Emirati-led coalition is
brutal, bloody, and a humanitarian disaster of immense proportions--and the
coalition is losing. America is supporting that coalition with military
assets such as refueling tankers and precision-guided munitions. Our
support is unconstitutional because Congress hasn't approved it,” said
*Lawrence
Wilkerson, Professor of Government at the College of William and Mary and
former chief of staff to secretary of state Colin Powell*. “The solution is
simple: invoke the Constitution and the War Powers Act and give the
President a choice--stop the support or seek Congressional approval."

“Rarely does Congress have an opportunity make a difference in the lives of
millions of people. This legislation is one such chance, and the time to
act is now,” said *William D. Hartung, Director, Arms and Security Project,
Center for International Policy*. “Representatives Khanna, Pocan, Smith and
their colleagues are to be commended for taking urgent and necessary action
to end the suffering in Yemen.”

“In another effort by Congress to take back its constitutional mandate to
declare war, Peace Action applauds Reps. Adam Smith, Ro Khanna, Barbara
Lee, Jim McGovern, Mark Pocan, Thomas Massie and others for invoking the
War Powers Resolution to stop the illegal involvement of the U.S. in the
Yemen war,” said *Paul Kawika Martin the Senior Director, Policy and
Political Affairs for Peace Action*, the largest grassroots peace
organization in the United States. “Peace Action helped pass the War Powers
Resolution in 1973 over the veto of President Nixon so Congress can stop
the White House and the Pentagon from engaging in costly wars that make
Americans less safe.”

“The Committee for Responsible Foreign Policy commends Reps. Ro Khanna,
Adam Smith, and Mark Pocan for their leadership on this issue, and for
their commitment to the Constitution's Article I Congressional War Powers,”
said *George O'Neill, Jr., founder of the Committee for Responsible Foreign
Policy.* “The decision to go to war is one of the most important decisions
a nation can make, and it is appropriate for Congress to vote on the United
States' partnership with Saudi Arabia in the war in Yemen, which has
created the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.”

Read the text of H.Con.Res. 138 here
<https://khanna.house.gov/sites/khanna.house.gov/files/WPR%20September%202018.pdf>
.

Additional resources:

Reps. Khanna, Pocan, Jones – “Stop the Unconstitutional War in Yemen
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/opinion/yemen-war-unconstitutional.html>
,” *New York Times*, Oct. 10, 2017

Rep. Khanna – “Congress Must Act to Stop US Involvement in the Yemen War
<https://www.thenation.com/article/congress-must-act-stop-us-involvement-yemen-war/>
,” *The Nation*, June 18, 2018

###

*The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) is the largest caucus within
the House Democratic Caucus, with over 70 members standing up for
progressive ideals in Washington and throughout the country. Since 1991,
the CPC has advocated for progressive policies that prioritize working
Americans over corporate interests, fight economic and social inequality,
and promote civil liberties. The CPC champions progressive policy solutions
like comprehensive immigration reform, a $15 national minimum wage, fair
trade, gun violence reform, debt-free college, and making the federal
government a Model Employer.*

Follow CPC

Website <https://cpc-grijalva.house.gov/>– Twitter
<https://twitter.com/USprogressives>– Facebook