[Peace] I voted. Have you?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Sep 28 22:17:22 UTC 2018

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10157644364577656

I voted at 1:15 today at the County Clerk’s office. There was no line
whatsoever. It took me three minutes and forty seconds to vote. At that
time about 250 people had voted so far at the County Clerk’s office,
between today and yesterday.

Here are some reasons why everyone who can vote before the last day of
voting should do so:

- No lines.

- People who vote on the last day will face a shorter line if you’re not in
it.

- If current County Clerk Gordy Hulten’s office doesn’t send enough polling
booths or ballots to the polling place for your precinct on the last day of
voting, it won’t affect you if you’ve already voted. The people in your
precinct it does affect will be affected less badly if you’re not standing
in the same line. The fewer unnecessarily long lines there are on the last
day of voting, the fewer unnecessarily discouraged voters there will be.

- If there’s any problem with your voter registration – or anybody claims
that there is – it’s much easier to deal with before the last day of
voting.

- You already know now everything you need to know about the candidates to
vote, or can quickly find it out. You can get the sample ballot for your
precinct at the County Clerk’s website. You can look up any candidate you
don’t know on the internet and ask your friends if they know anything. Your
sample ballot is here:

https://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/voter-information

- The more people vote earlier, the less payoff there is for last-minute
dirty tricks of every kind. No “October surprise” can touch you if you
voted in September.

- You never know what’s going to be going on in your life on the last day
of voting. You might have to suddenly leave town for a family emergency.
That’s how I missed the 2012 primary. If you’ve already voted, and you have
some kind of emergency, it’s “in the bag.” That’s one less thing you have
to worry about.

Basic info on voting before the last day of voting can be found here:

https://www.aaronammons.com/early-voting/