[Peace] Fw: sign open letter denouncing the smears against Corbyn and Labour?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:07:08 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stanley Heller <stanley.heller at att.net>
Date: Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 12:00 PM
Subject: [jewswhospeakout] Will you sign on to this open letter denouncing
the smears against Corbyn and Labour?
To: Jews Who Speak Out <jewswhospeakout at lists.riseup.net>, Corejvpnh <
corejvpnh at lists.riseup.net>

 [The election in the UK is just a week away.  We should have done
something like this long ago, but if you agree with the wording please
reply.  There's no time for further wording changes. Deadline Friday.
Please share.]

*We denounce smears of Anti-Semitism against Labour and Corbyn*

We are Jews who do not live in the UK and have no direct experience with
the Labour Party, but we can read and we are alarmed that some are trying
to use false charges of anti-Semitism as a way to stop criticism of Israel,
its treatment of Palestinians and its brutal violence against Palestinians
and others.

We see nothing in the Labour Manifesto <https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/>
that threatens Jews

We have heard of no campaigns that Labour has taken or is considering that
would be a threat to Jews

Labour has a whole section
<https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/tackle-poverty-and-inequality/> in its
Manifesto about its plans to fight racism and religious discrimination

It has a procedure for taking complaints about racism and anti-Semitism and
it investigates accusations and has expelled people
<https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49064771> from membership for
anti-Semitism allegations.

A celebrated attack
<http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2019/11/full-text-of-uk-chief-rabbis-appeal-not.html>
on Corbyn by Chief Rabbi Mirvis was devoid of facts and instead complained
of the Labour Party “culture”.  Its one detailed charge, that there are 130
outstanding complaints of anti-Semitism against Labour Party members comes
from a Labour Party group affiliated with the World Zionist Organization
<https://www.jewishlabour.uk/events>, hardly an objective news source.

A detailed examination
<https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/smoke-without-fire-the-myth-of-a-labour-antisemitism-crisis/>
of all the anti-Semitism accusations against Labour done by a group of UK
Jews supporting Labour found the charges were “smoke without fire”.

As for what Jeremy Corbyn has *done* (as opposed to words taken out of
context) his record is sterling, going back to the time he organized the
defense of Jewish-populated Wood Green from a National Front rally.

John Bercow <https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/1192553878807621635?s=21>,
the Jewish former Conservative MP and Speaker of the House of Commons,
testifies that, having known Corbyn over two decades, he has ‘never
detected a whiff of antisemitism’ about him.

This is a political fight, not a matter of a racist attack on religion or
ethnicity.

Right-wing Jews who hate Corbyn for his support for Palestinian rights and
Right-wing non-Jews who hate Corbyn for his proposed social reforms are
united in spreading the “Labour anti-Semitism” slander.

If false charges of anti-Semitism are used by the Right in successfully
destroying a candidacy in the UK, they’ll do it again and again worldwide.

We feel obligated to make this known.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you’d like to sign on to this statement send your full name and line of
identification to:   Stanley.Heller at att.net     *by 10 p.m. Eastern this
Friday 12/6 *

We’ll have a disclaimer that organizations mentioned are only for
identification

This JewsWhoSpeakOut List serves 336 Jews and non-Jews who are interested
in discussing ways to encourage Jews to get active in the cause of Middle
East Justice, particularly in the support of the Palestinian human and
national rights. [List moderators : Stan Heller-founder & abraham Weizfeld]