[Peace] DoD Approps idea: Codify DoD suspension of "operational training" of Saudi pilots

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 16:04:33 UTC 2019

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10158932849292656

DoD Approps idea: Codify DoD suspension of "operational training" of Saudi
pilots

Here's an idea on DoD Approps: codify the DoD suspension of "operational
training" of Saudi pilots.

We're at a strange juncture. The White House, Pelosi and Smith just shut
down every idea we had for Congress to do anything to limit Pentagon
participation in the Saudi war in Yemen.

At the same time, DoD just suspended the "operational training" of Saudi
pilots after the Pensacola shooting. They're allowed to attend lectures,
but not to touch guns or fly planes.

So, let's codify what is _*already Administration policy*_. This is a key
idea, codifying what is already Administration policy. This is part of how
we almost won on Saudi cluster bombs in the House. Obama had already
stopped it by the time the House voted. So we said: “it's not a radical
idea.” Obama already stopped it. We're just saying that you should codify
the policy that Obama is already doing, because Congress should be in
charge of this.