[Peace] News from Neptune #443 notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Dec 14 23:55:39 UTC 2019

News from Neptune #443
A "My Back Pages" edition
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nexp4s5ZHR8

A list of links to references made on the show.

John Maynard Keynes "The Economic Consequences of Peace"
ISBN-10: 1298792835
ISBN-13: 978-1298792839
Possibly complete text:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23749238_The_Economic_Consequences_Of_Peace_In_The_Middle_East

Bob Dylan's "My Back Pages"
Audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtDbbO2OLHY
Lyrics: https://www.metrolyrics.com/my-back-pages-lyrics-bob-dylan.html

The Byrds' "My Back Pages"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80l4XIPJC4

Boris Johnson's win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8wdjG_gFY -- Outcome coverage summary (RT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2K_HJ-Jc1s -- CrossTalk (RT) discussion

Michael Roberts' blog "The Next Recession"
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/

Michael Roberts on "Get Brexit Done!"
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2019/12/13/get-brexit-done/

What Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn say about secret US/UK talks about the
NHS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTffUvBFZs -- UK Prime Minister and leader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wTwu0zl1XQ -- Labour Party leader Jeremy
Corbyn said:

> Jeremy Corbyn: If you watch the first TV debate between me and Boris
> Johnson you'll have seen me hold up these censored, blacked-out reports
> [Corbyn held up a hardcopy of censored blacked-out reports]. Pages and
> pages of censored blacked-out reports of secret US and UK talks about
> breaking open our NHS to US corporations and thus driving up the cost
> of medicines. What I have here [Corbyn unzipped a black case holding a
> hardcopy of a document which he removed from the case and then held up]
> is something I can reveal to you. 451 pages of unredacted documents and
> information, all of it here [people dressed in scrubs handed out copies
> of a document to people assembled in the hall where Corbyn was
> speaking]. His [Boris Johnson's] government released this [presumably
> was holding the censored document], we [the Labour Party] have since
> released this [presumably holding the uncensored document] which is a
> very different version of events. Perhaps he would like to explain why
> these documents confirm the US is demanding the NHS is on the table in
> the trade talks. These uncensored documents leave Boris Johnson's
> denials in absolute tatters. Voters need to ask themselves some very
> serious questions. Is the NHS safe in Boris Johnson's hands?

Taft–Hartley Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft-Hartley

National Labor Relations Act of 1935
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Labor_Relations_Act_of_1935

Selling Free Enterprise: The Business Assault on Labor and Liberalism,
1945-60 by Elizabeth A. Fones-Wolf
ISBN-10: 0252064399
ISBN-13: 978-0252064395

Palmer Raids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Raids

Thomas Edsall on "Trump Has a Gift for Tearing Us Apart"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/opinion/trump-immigration.html

Steven H. Woolf, MD & Heidi Schoomaker on "Life Expectancy and Mortality
Rates in the United States, 1959-2017"
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2756187

Peter Strzok & Lisa Page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Strzok

Carter Page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Page
Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOzRVoPE94 -- Jimmy Dore on the
Inspector General report indicating how the FBI lied to the FISA court
about Carter Page working for the CIA and how Page now has a good reason to
sue the FBI and win.

Jeffrey St. Clair on "Roaming Charges: That’s Neoliberalism for You"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/12/13/roaming-charges-thats-neoliberalism-for-you/

Sergei and Yulia Skripal poisoning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Sergei_and_Yulia_Skripal

Pres. Trump's recent executive order
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-sign-executive-order-targeting-college-anti-semitism-israel-boycotts-n1099601

Steven Salaita on "Renouncing Israel on Principle"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/12/12/renouncing-israel-on-principle/

Jim Dey
https://www.news-gazette.com/users/profile/jim%20dey/

J.B. Nicholson notes