[Peace] Fwd: The National Park Service can stop Dynegy's project. Give them the support they need to do it.

Karen Aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:47:49 UTC 2019

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/EJC%20horizontal%20logo%2C%20large.jpg]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/4kqn-AE7sXqf5D53IC4wX8_7vs58mjtaRA90M7AaxQE=>

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/New%20East%20Stabilization.jpeg]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/mKfwtP34_DRZLKwpV-wKnRzwNSfSPlrfmRtuv9F8qRk=>
Write the National Park Service!
They Can Stop Dynegy's Cap and Leave Project

How? The National Park Service (NPS) can - and should - determine that Dynegy's riverbank stabilization project, which is Step #1 in Dynegy's plan to cap its pits and leave the ash in place, does not comply with requirements of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/8CVjek8qMLIiEl7S7_7p2xPeqDKm3-8EcYqG3UJ09Q0=>.

The NPS, along with the the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) as the state administrator, are bound by Sections 7(a) and 10(a) of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to protect and enhance the river’s free-flowing condition, water quality, and outstanding remarkable values for which the river gained its designation. These values include scenic, recreational, ecological, geologic and historic resources.

But Dynegy's project, with its planned excavation of contaminated riverbanks and river bed, massive fill below the ordinary high water mark for a distance of 2,000 linear feet, does none of that. Instead, it would:

  *   Artificially constrain the river’s free flowing condition.
  *   Degrade water quality in the river.
  *   Harm recreational use of the river.
  *   Degrade the scenic value of the river.

​When combined with stabilization installed along the New East Ash Pit in 2016, the wall (white rip-rap) along the west bank of this National Scenic River would be nearly 1/2 mile long.  The National Park Service cannot determine that this project, with its attendant impacts, is consistent with the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.

Click to learn more<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/mKfwtP34_DRZLKwpV-wKnRzwNSfSPlrfmRtuv9F8qRk=>. Then send a letter<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/ra9fu_uT5sVRYJELBOdwQKmP80uy2eOStVZ4Z8FcNKg=> to give the NPS the support it needs to withhold its approval.  We've prepared talking points<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/IrgY563sl2ekb77OnGoa_KdUEO14EtwW1piLgYL_FHU=> to make personalizing your letter easy.  Please do this today.  We don't know when the National Park Service plans to issue its Evaluation and Determination Letter, but we do know your letter can make a difference.

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/National%20Scenic%20River.jpeg]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/hjBIRisM0gpYrXBQMbMEclBBN-8uHmDB0uUUBKVAIUA=>
We've Got a Hearing on Dynegy's Section 401 Certification!
Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Danville Area Community College (Gymnasium)
2000 East Main Street, Danville, Illinois 61832

​This Illinois EPA hearing<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/rImJ4Ls6ITWHCEXSHRuVN-s9tlghvmPSiz2HHr2MViw=> is related to Dynegy's riverbank stabilization project, not the overall closure plan for its three coal ash pits. The hearing will focus on violations of state water quality standards (focusing on the Illinois Pollution Control Board's Rules) and noncompliance with specific sections of the Clean Water Act. The Illinois EPA  will also consider testimony related to interference with public recreation.

We need you to attend. The gymnasium at Danville Area Community College holds 800 people, and it is important to fill a majority of those seats.  EJC plans to hold two meetings in March to help people understand the scope of this hearing, and prepare oral or written testimony.  One of these meetings will be held in Danville on Thursday, March 14<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/hjBIRisM0gpYrXBQMbMEclBBN-8uHmDB0uUUBKVAIUA=>, the other in Urbana on Wednesday, March 20<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/xjZueaEzVZIHkGXwYoqrkCx19FT5S1QZJZvonHT8tDY=>. This is the time to engage. Please don't sit this one out!

Click for Notice of Hearing<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/aa7sTmcdrI30oGom59LehbaIKVkX9-AOkAWybwCjggo=>
Click for Public Notice<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/2hutrFyiWKxFMxjQRZcAHMLrLKBtIqSXb0fyDppGqEk=>, which provides background on the project

[EJC Objects to Dynegy's Section 404 Permit]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/P_nYAm-OMhpDau-L36od9VqFP9Fg0SEe-9MCQoOKUuU=>
EJC Says Dynegy's Riverbank Stabilization Project
Requires an Environmental Impact Statement

This past January, EJC officially objected to the issuance of a Joint Section 404 / 401 Permit<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/nNYUsIPEevP_RprJuwayVId58ua6j0w67sm2PUATbtc=> by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (DA) for Dynegy's proposed riverbank stabilization project which would allow the utility to cap the pits and forever leave them in the floodplain of the Middle Fork River. It is our opinion that a practicable alternative exists that would have less impact on the aquatic system (e.g. ash removal and relocation away from the river and its floodplain), and that the provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act (1969) have not been met. These include:

  *   An accurate description of Purpose and Need.

  *   A thorough consideration of reasonable alternatives that will meet the Purpose and Need of the project.

  *   An analysis and documentation of impacts associated with each alternative and the development of measures to mitigate unavoidable impacts.

  *   The implementation of a public participation process, including a public hearing in order to ensure that critical information and public interest are reflected in the permit decision.

Click here to read<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/P_nYAm-OMhpDau-L36od9VqFP9Fg0SEe-9MCQoOKUuU=> our letter, which provides the basis of our objection and request for an EIS and public hearing.

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/Unacceptable%20Levels.jpeg]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/lFobxj5-Ldt-snU7BfQasvliQBDmuqTHWYeHNhnGMaI=>
Film Screening of Unacceptable Levels
A story about the chemicals in our bodies, how they got there, and
what we can do about it

February 22, 6:30pm
Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana Champaign
309 West Green Street, Urbana

Unacceptable Levels<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/B_q2reg7JlbEDPC7VVzZYLaXhBltraralXsB2codSzk=> opens a dialogue about the effects that chemicals in everyday products have on the environment and on our bodies. The film explores the lack of regulatory oversight on industrial chemicals in consumer goods - from cosmetics to household cleaning products, to industrial farming - and inspires consumers to push for changes that protect us all.

“A lot of the pesticides are made from coal tar, just like a lot of pharmaceuticals, that’s all waste product in search of a dumping ground and the dumping ground is us” - Will Allen, author of “War on Bugs”

The film is free, and pizza will be provided! Take a pledge to eliminate pesticide use in your yard or garden and get a free sign to post in your yard.

Sponsored by
The People's Climate Movement and Prairie Group of the Sierra Club

Cosponsored by
Eco-Justice Collaborative<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/4kqn-AE7sXqf5D53IC4wX8_7vs58mjtaRA90M7AaxQE=>, Prairie Rivers Network<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/Rfvc6d96ivwV63fQNmz8riueoQmBSUEMQqPc-beYUxg=>, and
The Social Action Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana Champaign<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/23dV9-Z7U5bE79hsakhV5kVgYqiu_DSa18dH0PrpuYU=>

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/AMBUCS_001.jpeg]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/6QAO80rE-oyDsl_Usl2eqBYtMp4DjWuISateXcM7aZw=>

Say Hello to EJC and Protect the Middle Fork Citizens Group
at this Year's AMBUCS Home Show

Saturday, March 2, from 10am to 5pm
Sunday, March 3, from 11am to 4pm

David Palmer Arena, 100 W Main St, Danville, IL

Every March AMBUCS hosts the Home & Living Expo at the Palmer Arena. Featuring more than 75 exhibitors, numerous stage acts, and lots of giveaways, the Expo is a spring fixture in Danville.

The AMBUCS Home & Living Expo<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/aVreuc6zYqUX2ZSfQT_G6ntvaVcILoits8nYUIxRak0=> is a charity event. All proceeds are used to help create independence for people with disabilities especially children.

Eco-Justice Collaborative, along with the Protect the Middle Fork Citizens Advocacy Group, is one of the exhibitors again this year. Stop by our booth and learn how you can get involved. Be sure to pick up one of our yard signs.

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/Final%20Middle%20Fork%20Yard%20Sign_002.jpeg]

The signs are free, but a donation of $10 is encouraged to help cover costs.

[https://d1kxpthy2j2ikk.cloudfront.net/Uploads/9247/images/DONATE.png]<https://act.myngp.com/el/BVcQ92_Sb0EPl9VSO0DapTC4NSMzGfKYICIq1LIUj6I=/WcJOlYcxstozwl2kdpN_JO1MRKNfqC_Xohu3qu9osKE=>

Eco-Justice Collaborative
919 W. University Avenue
Champaign IL 61821 United States