[Peace] News from Neptune #429 notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Jul 19 22:22:34 UTC 2019

News from Neptune #429
A "True Crimes" edition
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKR--PYPZKM

A list of links to items referenced on the show.

This show began with a version of a comment from C. G. Estabrook posted to
Shelley Washburne Masar's Facebook page which she deleted.
https://www.facebook.com/shelley.masar

Rob Urie on "The Blob Fought the Squad, and the Squad Won"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07/19/the-blob-fought-the-squad-and-the-squad-won/

"Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition" by Cedric Robinson
ISBN-13: 978-0807848296
ISBN-10: 0807848298
Complete book:
https://libcom.org/files/Black%20Marxism-Cedric%20J.%20Robinson.pdf
https://libcom.org/files/cedric-robinson-black-marxism-the-making-of-the-black-radical-tradition.epub
https://libcom.org/files/cedric-robinson-black-marxism-the-making-of-the-black-radical-tradition.mobi

Related:
https://bennorton.com/adolph-reed-identity-politics-is-neoliberalism/ --
Adolph Reed on "Identity Politics Is Neoliberalism"

Seneca Falls Convention
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Falls_Convention

C.G. Estabrook on "All human life deserves respect"
https://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-all-human-life-deserves-respect/article_3de69788-bf17-57d2-9156-0fe029f477d3.html

David Underhill on "The Inequality of Equal Pay"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07/19/the-inequality-of-equal-pay/

Universal Basic Income (UBI)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

Fran Lebowitz on for New York City mayor and billionaire Michael Bloomberg:
> I object to people who are rich in politics. I don't think they should
> be allowed to be in politics. It is bad that rich people are in
> politics, it is bad for everybody but rich people, and rich people don't
> need any more help. Whenever people say, "Oh, he earned his money
> himself," I always say the same thing: "No one earns a billion dollars.
> People earn $10 an hour, people steal a billion dollars.
Thomas B. Edsall on "Integration vs. White Intransigence: Separate has
never been equal."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/opinion/integration-politics.html

Jeffrey St. Clair on "Roaming Charges: Big Man, Pig Man"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07/19/roaming-charges-big-man-pig-man/

Notes from J.B. Nicholson
https://lists.chambana.net/pipermail/peace-discuss/2019-July/051055.html

Julie Wurth articles for the News-Gazette
https://www.news-gazette.com/users/profile/julie%20wurth/

Everett Dirksen on "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're
talking real money."
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Everett_Dirksen
https://web.archive.org/web/20140127115225/http://www.dirksencenter.org:80/print_emd_billionhere.htm

Other people claim they heard Dirksen said it on The Tonight Show but The
Dirksen Center says:
> Update, May 25, 2004. A gentleman who called The Center with a reference
> question relayed that he sat by Dirksen on a flight once and asked him
> about the famous quote. Dirksen replied, "Oh, I never said that. A
> newspaper fella misquoted me once, and I thought it sounded so good that
> I never bothered to deny it."
Violent death rates in the US compared to those of the other high-income
countries, 2015 by Erin Grinshteyn, David Hemenway
Preventive Medicine Volume 123, June 2019, Pages 20-26
2015 article:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743519300659
2010 article:
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(15)01030-X/fulltext