[Peace] Antiwar.com: Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Bill to Withdraw Troops from Syria

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 16:24:00 UTC 2019

This is the first ink on this I've seen.

Now we're going to separate the sheep from the goats.

Now we're going find out who really believes that Article I of the
Constitution and the War Powers Resolution of 1973 are good law and who was
only pretending.

Remember what our friends said on the Senate floor when the Yemen War
Powers Resolution was first being debated: if you think the U.S. military
should be doing this, introduce an AUMF and call the roll.

https://news.antiwar.com/2019/11/03/tulsi-gabbard-introduces-bill-to-withdraw-troops-from-syria/
Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Bill to Withdraw Troops from Syria Resolution Says
Syrian Oil Belongs to Syria Dave DeCamp
<https://news.antiwar.com/author/dave_decamp/>
Posted on November 3, 2019
<https://news.antiwar.com/2019/11/03/tulsi-gabbard-introduces-bill-to-withdraw-troops-from-syria/>

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) introduced a resolution
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/70/text/ih>
to the House of Representatives on October 31st titled, “Directing the
President pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution to remove
United States Armed Forces from hostilities in the Syrian Arab Republic
that have not been authorized by Congress.”

The idea of the bill is to remove any troops in Syria that do not have
Congressional approval to be there, which is all of them. The resolution
says, “Congress has not declared war with respect to, or provided any
specific statutory authorization for, United States military participation
in any activity related to securing, guarding, possessing, profiting off
of, or developing oil fields in northern Syria. All of these actions are
unconstitutional.”

The resolution also points out that President Trump’s new plan to stay in
Syria to “secure the oil” is a flagrant violation of international law. The
resolution says, “Oil, natural resources, and land in Syria belong to the
Syrian people, not the United States.”

Although the House was quick to condemn Trump’s withdrawal from northeast
Syria to avoid a confrontation with Turkey, his new plan to “secure the
oil” has not come under much scrutiny. The language in Gabbard’s bill would
make it tough for any member of Congress to argue against it.