[Peace] Jewish Athens vs. Jewish Sparta: the final smackdown

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 18:58:57 UTC 2019

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10158782746442656

Jewish Athens vs. Jewish Sparta: the final smackdown

Prologue: The main thing we need from the Jewish Liberals now on
Israel-Palestine is for the Jewish Liberals to stand up for the rights of
Palestinians to speak their truths about their experiences. “Speak your
truth, though your voice shakes.” The rest is explanation.

_*In the name of God, who is most merciful and compassionate:*_

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, over Jewish Athens vs. Jewish
Sparta. We are met on a great battle-field of that war.

Everyone should be thinking about where our next strategic battles lie.

Bernie Sanders lived in Israel.

Me too.

Some people might dispute that I “lived in Israel.” I lived in Ramallah,
Birzeit, and Hebron. Is that “Israel”? That’s the three billion dollar
question, isn’t it? I visited a kibbutz. I went to the Wailing Wall. “It’s
just a wall!” Lina said. This is the same Lina who “informed” me that the
Grand Canyon is “just a big hole.” _*Philistines!*_

Rashida Tlaib was blocked from visiting her friends and relatives by the
Israeli government.

Me too.

Admittedly, I was more interested in visiting my friends than in visiting
my relatives. But I _*could*_ have visited my relatives, if Israeli
soldiers hadn’t stopped me at the Sheikh Husseini bridge and sent me back
on the bus to Amman alone. Who’s to say I wasn’t going to visit my
relatives? I often gave their address to expedite my passage through
Israeli security. “Just another American Jew going to visit my uncle the
Rabbi. There’ll be no need to search my bags, inspect my underwear while
I’m wearing it, or make me cool my heels for hours in the ‘interrogation
room’ where you could die of old age waiting to be ‘interrogated’.”

Charles Lenchner was imprisoned in Israel for refusing to participate in
the Israeli occupation.

Me too.

Some people may claim that my refusal to participate in the Israeli
occupation was a little more aggressive. Your mileage may vary.

When I sat on the roof of a Palestinian home in Hebron that the Israeli
military planned to demolish, and when I refused to move when Israeli
soldiers ordered me to do so, I anticipated that being arrested and
imprisoned in Israel was a possible consequence of my actions. I had priced
that into the market.

I didn’t anticipate being beaten by Israeli soldiers. I did not see that
coming.

Literally, I didn’t see it coming. I was face down on the ground, with my
hands cuffed behind my back, when an Israeli soldier rammed his knee into
my back, pushed my mouth in the dirt, and told me to eat.

That I didn’t expect. I didn’t expect them to do that to an American Jew.

That was the day I lost the last remnant of my Zionist attachments. That
was the day I took my last dosage of the Red Pill.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, over Jewish Athens vs. Jewish
Sparta. We are met on a great battle-field of that war.

We’ve had our practice round.

We’ve separated the sheep from the goats.

Let’s go after the Death Star.

I was always planning to go after the Death Star. I never gave up on the
Quest to go after the Death Star.

If the Jewish Liberals don’t like it, they can drink the water of the sea.

The sea is behind us, and the enemy in front.

Let’s be pragmatic, incrementalist reformists.

Let’s start by going after a little nick of the Death Star.

That’s how we started on Saudi Arabia. We went after a little nick. We
tried to stop the transfer of cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia.

Let’s go after a little nick of the Death Star.

Let’s force a floor vote. Let’s call the roll.

Let’s see who’s protecting the Death Star from a little nick.