[Peace] Lee Camp interview with Howie Hawkins, Green Party candidate for President, plus

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sun Apr 5 00:58:17 UTC 2020

Karen Aram wrote:
> An important interview given Lee provides Howie the opportunity to address
> previous statement related to russiagate.
>
> https://www.rt.com/shows/redacted-tonight-summary/484824-coronavirus-maduro-howie-hawkins/

Thanks for this; yes, let's compare the Primo Nutmeg interview with Howie Hawkins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZZTlzThTo which is another copy of the same Lee
Camp interview with Howie Hawkins.

In regards to Russiagate, Howie Hawkins around 10 months ago (June 2019) to Primo Nutmeg:

> Primo Nutmeg: I just be interested overall what are your thoughts on the way that
> Jill Stein has been treated by the corporate media following the 2016 election.
>
> Howie Hawkins: Well I was part of an advisory group to Jill I advised her not to
> go to that RT thing.
>
> Primo Nutmeg: Why?
>
> Howie Hawkins: In fact, well, I thought it was a setup. RT is you know Russian
> propaganda; there's a lot of good programming on it and they don't really
> interfere with that you know-- Chris Hedges, Larry King, you know, I don't know if
> Larry's still on there, Tom Hartman. But there's also when the news comes from
> central headquarters they get all kinds of crazy conspiracy people are there you
> of crazy conspiracy people are there. You know all the Rouche people. You know the
> Lyndon LaRouche?
>
> Primo Nutmeg: Right.
>
> Howie Hawkins: You know conspiracy people and others so I didn't trust them and
> actually another person said you know they could take a picture that would just
> overshadow everything you say. And she thought she'd give a message, she was
> encouraged by a lot of people in the peace movement so she went. And that picture!
> Putin-- you said she sat down with Putin, no. Putin sat down at the table with her
> for just a few minutes.
>
> Primo Nutmeg: Right.
>
> Howie Hawkins: Picture snapped. Flynn is there, she don't know Flynn, nobody knows
> Flynn. And Putin leaves and then Sputnik International, another state media, puts
> it out on the media. And then, you know, what's their purpose? You know, divide
> us, in this country, you know the Liberals from the more radical elements. And
> then MSNBC, CNN, Fox put that picture out there and a lot of print media again and
> again and again. They're doin' it for Russian propaganda! That was the relative
> Russians wanted. I mean it's so ironic. So you know the media is you know they're
> following this Russiagate thing -- which I think is serious -- I think Trump ought
> to be impeached, I think it's obvious he saw collusion, he did collude, him and
> his son, and his you know his son-in-law. You know it's all over that first volume
> of the Muller Report. It's all over there! I mean, you know, when people say 'oh,
> it showed no collusion', no it didn't, it says, Muller says right away, 'I didn't
> talk about collusion'. They're talkin' about the narrow, legal definition of
> conspiracy. 'Plus I can't indict a president according to this ONC letter in the
> Justice Department.' He just laid out the evidence for prosecutors which has to be
> Congress.

The above is also the clip of Primo Nutmeg's own Hawkins interview he played for his
interview with Margaret Kimberley in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCeVx_xEl7M
starting at around 39 minutes.

But more recently Howie Hawkins was interviewed by Lee Camp on RT's "Redacted Tonight
VIP". Hawkins addressed Russiagate as follows starting around 19m25s into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9p7peGRN5A

> [...]
> candidates are talking about is this new nuclear arms race. We are getting out
> [of] all the treaties. The last treaty to go will be the last bilateral treaty
> between Russia and the United States that's the New START treaty, it expires
> February 5th next year there are no negotiations going on and both sides are
> modernizing their forces, putting more tactical nukes in their conventional
> forces, setting up hypersonic strategic nukes. That's a crisis! We need to get
> behind the treaty for the prohibition of nuclear weapons which 122 nations agreed
> to in 2017, they agreed to the text, the International Campaign for the abolition
> of nuclear weapons got the Nobel Peace Prize for that, and hardly anybody in
> America even knows about that. And so the Bulletin of the Atomic Science move
> their clock closer to doomsday than ever before and it's not even being talked
> about. So I'm saying a major issue a top campaign issue should be nuclear
> disarmament. I'm calling for no-use-first use of nuclear weapons, a minimum
> credible deterrent, and on the basis of those initiatives that reduce tension
> going to the other nuclear powers and saying we got to get rid of all the nukes,
> and I think we'll have those 122 nations that support that treaty for the
> prohibition of nuclear weapons on our side. That's a huge issue that's not even
> being talked about, and I think you don't deal with Russia by poking them with war
> games and pushing NATO up in their face. You know there are criticisms [to be]
> made of Russia, but we got a deal with them. Their economy is one-sixth of ours.
> Their military budget [is] one-tenth of ours. They're not a conventional threat
> but they are a nuclear superpower so we should be engaging them diplomatically not
> playing this Cold War game which is a threat to all of us.
>
> Lee Camp: Yeah, so just to circle back real quick -- you do believe this new
> McCarthyism, this red-baiting? I mean it's dangerous for the left, it's dangerous
> for journalists, it's been used against Bernie Sanders, Jill Stein, just about
> anybody who says anything outside of the mainstream corporate talking points. So
> you agree with that right?
>
> Howie Hawkins: Yeah. You don't suppress dissent, you encourage it because
> sometimes the dissenters are right and we should not give the state or big tech
> the power to do that. I like what Edward Snowden said his biography; it's a real
> page-turner, and he said like they do in Europe: our property, our data should be
> our property, not the property of the big tech companies with a government that
> collects it. And so we've got to protect our freedoms and censoring the internet
> and people's access to it. You know net neutrality is a big issue all these things
> have to be addressed. And right now they're trying to marginalize people that
> disagree with what the establishment wants and that's wrong.

A couple of points:

* Camp had to lead Hawkins to anti-Russiagate conclusions (to the extent Hawkins
expressed any anti-Russiagate conclusions in the Camp interview besides saying "yeah"
Russiagate than Hawkins gave, which I found disappointing because Camp started the
Hawkins interview by saying "I was told it was one of the reasons you [Howie Hawkins]
wanted to come on the show is to clear up some statements you made about Russiagate"
therefore I expected a clearer break from Hawkins' Russiagate support. Instead,
Hawkins appears to Camp's Russiagate lead-in to talk about not-entirely-related
topics which are interesting and important but not a reason to believe Hawkins is
"clearing up some statements made about Russiagate" as was mentioned. It would have
been nice to hear someone address that Russiagate has multiple goals, among them:
providing an excuse for Hillary Clinton's dramatic loss to Donald Trump, and to help
keep Pres. Trump in line with the permanent government since candidate Trump's
rhetoric was so threatening to permanent government goals.

* YouTube's transcriber sometimes transcribes "Clinton" (as in Hillary Clinton) as
"Satan". I'm not joking. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9p7peGRN5A at
20m40s and turn on the subtitles/captioning. Enjoy.

-J