[Peace] Notes (COVID-19 edition)

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Apr 11 03:14:56 UTC 2020

So many of the stories not covered elsewhere are now covered by Jimmy Dore & RT. Dore
is particularly good on covering stories about workers, such as pointing out that the
workers deemed essential (note how this is not the upper-level workers such as
management) also the least-well paid and the most at-risk from contracting and
spreading COVID-19. This particular point is brought up on RT's CrossTalk (below) as
well in what is probably one of their best episodes.

Assange missing from hearing, reported to be "unwell" and still trapped in COVID-19
prison/petri dish
Consortium News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccGRIuA5SU -- interview with Deepa
Govindarajan Driver who was in the courtroom for the hearing.

Related: Galloway on Coronavirus "ripping" through Belmarsh prison.
RT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DT2oDnHc9I

Almost 1/3rd of US renters didn't pay their rent on time on April 1, 2020.
Jimmy Dore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwpV-nfJu8
pay-rent-by-april-fifth-20200408-iqpwwtzr35cmrliiwnvs2qlasm-story.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nearly-a-third-of-u-s-renters-didnt-pay-april-rent-11586340000
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-nearly-third-renters-did-not-

> A national landlord group has found that nearly a third of U.S. renters didn’t pay
> any of their rent in the first week of April, a stark sign of how much American
> families are struggling economically during the coronavirus pandemic.
>
> Only 69% of households had paid their rent by April 5, down from 81% that had paid
> by March 5 and 82% that did so by April 5, 2019, according to data collected by
> the National Multifamily Housing Council.
>
> The group’s rent payment tracker reflects data from 13.4 million units across the
> country and includes renters who only made partial payments.
>
> The percentage of payments is likely to grow, however, as many renters are
> expected to pay their rent later in the month or made online payments that weren’t
> processed by April 5.
>
> Still, the drop in payments during the first five days of the month suggests many
> renters are struggling to keep up with their bills as businesses across the
> country shut their doors to slow the spread of coronavirus, which has already
> killed about 13,000 people in the U.S.
>
> “The COVID-19 outbreak has resulted in significant health and financial challenges
> for apartment residents and multifamily owners, operators and employees in
> communities across the country,” Doug Bibby, the council’s president, said in a
> statement Wednesday.
>
> “However, it is important to note that a large number of residents met their
> obligations despite unparalleled circumstances, and we will see that figure
> increase over the coming weeks,” he added.

CrossTalk with 2 guests who challenge capitalism, 1 who defends capitalism and gives
up on the show part of the way in.
RT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nggh-tqIjU

John Pilger interview in "Underground" season-ender (the show is coming back for
another season)
RT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HupV6GRPLw

McDonald's workers are striking in multiple cities (keep in mind how McDonald's
treats their workers when COVID-19 stay-at-home order is over)
Jimmy Dore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKoXPOU5xHc

Matt Taibbi on how this bailout is worse than the 2008 bailout
The Hill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcpipS2yvI

I recommend that UPTV replay all of these videos. I understand that they still won't
play the Jimmy Dore episodes because we might hear Jimmy say naughty words.