[Peace] Interesting and important interviews & comments from Jimmy Dore: interviews with Dylan Ratigan & Jane McAlevey, and analyzing Noam Chomsky's electoral advice & AOC's rebuttal

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Apr 22 00:51:00 UTC 2020

Jimmy Dore is still giving us the interviews you're not likely to catch elsewhere. On
today's live show he spoke with author Jane McAlevey author of "A Collective Bargain:
Unions, Organizing, and the Fight for Democracy".

https://janemcalevey.com/book/a-collective-bargain-unions-organizing-and-the-fight-for-democracy/

McAlevey provides specific actionable advice on how to form a union, which unions are
most likely to be amenable to work with you (nurses & teachers' unions), and she
clearly calls for strikes among the workers we now see are indispensable (among them:
grocery store clerks & delivery drivers not Wall St. traders despite what the
establishment media tells you). My main objection is McAlevey's fleeting references
to the sex of the amenable workers and Trump Derangement Syndrome[2]. But fortunately
Dore is neither put off by it nor mired in that side issue in the interview.

McAlevey, in response to what union busters aim to accomplish, quoted a union buster
which I found referenced below:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-are-unions-20140227-story.html#axzz2uYgJ10ss
https://archive.md/C9aG2

> Over the years, employers have developed an exquisite arsenal against union
> organizing. For a succinct description of how the war is waged, Soltas needs to
> examine “Confessions of a Union Buster,”[1] the heartfelt memoir Martin Jay Levitt
> published in 1993.
>
> “I come from a very dirty business,” Levitt told a carpenters union audience
> (after his conversion). As he described it, “the enemy was the collective spirit.
> I got hold of that spirit while it was still a seedling; I poisoned it, choked it,
> bludgeoned it if I had to, anything to be sure it would never blossom into a
> united work force, the dreaded foe of any corporate tyrant."
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-0gxca-VxM

[2] Dore is much more pointed in his criticism of 'any blue will do' (a slogan
advocating that one should support any Democrat no matter who they are, what their
history is, or what they say they'll support/oppose) in his take on Noam Chomsky's
endorsement of Joe Biden. You can also find Chomsky's advice to vote for Biden on
recent episodes of Democracy Now and in an interview with Medhi Hasan (which is what
Dore focuses on).

And Dore & co. are still some the very few commentators with a proper sense of
priority on how much the Democrats are not working for you. The so-called
"progressive" Democrats -- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez/AOC, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib,
and the rest of "the squad", as well as Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren have all
been described as progressive -- are all useless to you because of how all but a
handful of Congresspeople voted for the CARES Act (everyone voting in the Senate went
along with it and those few objectors in the House sounded like they were all men,
judging by the voice vote given).

Despite that, AOC continues to lecture and gaslight us about our collective needs and
not clearly and plainly say that she voted against CARES (because she actually voted
for CARES and she knows it), didn't put in any effort to call for a recorded vote
(and for a lame reason[3] that is no excuse to not call for a recorded vote), and
didn't challenge her leadership on a recorded vote or the bill. The Democrats are
fully behind our collective immiseration. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwiP6JT3mQ for Dore's response and this is filled
with questions the establishment-friendly media aren't asking. For all of her
time-consuming bluster, AOC has not demonstrated the spine to appear on Jimmy Dore's
show despite having an open invitation to appear so he can put these questions
directly to her.

See Dore's interview with Dylan Ratigan in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1oERncbzPY on how anyone living on a stock-based
retirement plan or pension is in fiscal trouble too.

[3] Rep. Barbara Lee stood out as the sole House vote against the authorization to
grant the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq. She lost that fight. But she can forever turn
to her constituents and argue that she made the correct call when it counted. AOC
can't do that. We've heard the voice vote (which sounded like a small group of all
men) and AOC has been cagey about describing her own choices (she never clearly said
she voted against CARES, won't given Rep. Thomas Massey credit where credit is due
for objecting to the point where the House had to have a voice vote, and erroneously
claims that it would have "needlessly endanger[ed] folks" to have objected without 43
other Reps. joining her). These are reasons for her constituents to vote AOC out.