[Peace] Interesting and important interviews & comments from Jimmy Dore: interviews with Dylan Ratigan & Jane McAlevey, and analyzing Noam Chomsky's electoral advice & AOC's rebuttal

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Apr 24 23:18:02 UTC 2020

I wrote:
> Jimmy Dore is still giving us the interviews you're not likely to catch elsewhere. On
> today's live show he spoke with author Jane McAlevey author of "A Collective Bargain:
> Unions, Organizing, and the Fight for Democracy".
>
> https://janemcalevey.com/book/a-collective-bargain-unions-organizing-and-the-fight-for-democracy/
You can see these interview segments on YouTube starting today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3UeVTxZHC8 -- How to start a successful strike
during crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH9beRXMxwk -- Many strikes are coming

You can bet these will be on my list of recommended videos to play during News from
Neptune's timeslot.

How correct is McAlevey likely to be? I think the answer comes in the form of recent
media stories such as this article from the LA Times:

 From https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-17/usc-coronavirus-survey

> Less than half of L.A. County residents still have jobs amid coronavirus crisis
>
> By Jaclyn Cosgrove, Staff Writer April 17, 2020
> 7 AM
> UPDATED 10:48 AM
>
> Because of the colossal impact that the coronavirus outbreak has had on the U.S.
> economy, less than half of Los Angeles County residents — 45% compared with 61%
> in mid-March — still hold a job, a decline of 16 percentage points, or an
> estimated 1.3 million jobs, according to findings from a national survey released
> Friday.
>
> The survey also suggests that 25.5 million jobs have been potentially lost across
> the U.S. since mid-March, and that people of color, especially black Americans,
> are more likely to have lost their jobs since mid-March.
>
> Nationally, 15% of white people said they had lost their jobs, while 18% of
> Latinos and 21% of black people reported job losses. 523444_ME_Covina_3_RCG.JPG
> California These striking photos reveal how California is changing
>
> But a significant majority of job losses, 67% nationally, were reported as
> temporary layoffs. Angelenos reported similar experiences.
>
> “Under normal circumstances losing a job without access to benefits would be bad
> enough, but in the current situation, chances of finding a new job are likely to
> be close to nonexistent,” Arie Kapteyn, director of the USC Dornsife Center for
> Economic and Social Research, which administers the tracking survey, said in a
> statement. “These changes are nothing less than catastrophic for those affected.”
>
> The Understanding Coronavirus in America Study, led by the USC Dornsife Center,
> has been surveying a panel of nearly 5,500 adults in the United States about
> their perceptions and attitudes regarding the coronavirus outbreak and how it’s
> affecting their lives since mid-March.

And from what I'd bet will soon become one of the most looked-up Wikipedia pages --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_depression

> Unemployment in the U.S. rose to 23% and in some countries rose as high as 33%.
relative to this recent RT interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nLsrDeB4Y -- Trump adviser Stephen Moore says
jobless rate will soon reach 20%. Don't expect much from this interview with Larry
King (one of two shows RT runs which scarcely challenges the establishment or the
viewer's intellect, the other show being the new Dennis Miller show). But the
unemployment figure is staggering.

And finally consider:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nearly-a-third-of-u-s-renters-didnt-pay-april-rent-11586340000

> Nearly a Third of U.S. Apartment Renters Didn’t Pay April [in the year 2020] Rent
>
> Nearly a third of U.S. apartment renters didn’t pay any of their April rent
> during the first week of the month, according to new data to be released Wednesday
> by the National Multifamily Housing Council and a consortium of real-estate data
> providers.
>
> The numbers are the first hard look at how many Americans are struggling to make
> rent during the coronavirus pandemic. The data come in the first of weekly
> reports on unpaid rent from NMHC, a landlord trade group. [...]
Reports on the same survey also come from other establishment-friendly outlets:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/09/business/americans-rent-payment-trnd/index.html
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-fallout-onethird-of-americans-missed-rent-payments-in-april-135654889.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/april-rent-one-third-did-not-pay-multifamily-housing-council/

I point out these sources merely to drive home the point that some stories of
immiseration are apparently unignorable, even for the establishment-friendly media
(the same media that built on republishing WikiLeaks leaks and now tries to distance
themselves from any news of how Julian Assange is being tortured and subjected to a
petri dish where he may well catch Coronavirus, the virus that causes COVID-19).

-J