[Peace] [Peace-discuss] Ridiculous praise for John Lewis

Brussel, Morton brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 6 17:34:53 UTC 2020

Paul Street is too often wildly off-key, as for example this phrase in his defense(?) of John Lewis:

"the splendid Russian expatriate Masha Gessen <https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival/> …. "
She’s been part of the Russiagate syndrome!

As for Kwame Turé, I have now only vague memories of disappointment.

On Aug 6, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Karen Aram via Peace-discuss <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net<mailto:peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>> wrote:

John

I’m re-posting my previous statement as it was when cutting and pasting by FB links.

Local Prof. Sundiata Cha Jua:

"We’ve been quiet and had chosen not to comment on John Lewis but the arch criminal neoliberal Bubba the bigot Clinton does not get a pass to attack Kwame Ture.

Why do Black people not see this racist for who he is? The Clinton years were the fourth and fifth Reagan terms.
The best we can say is that Lewis was a fighter, a stubborn warrior who held his ground—non-violent integrationism—in subservience to a degenerate racist capitalist empire. Lewis could not be moved by the evidence of the worsening conditions of our people, he was immune to new knowledge, he stubbornly stayed stuck in a 1963 dream despite living proof that it was really a nightmare. He stubbornly refused to move to 1966 let alone 2016.
Kwame had his faults but stubborn refusal to make strategic adjustments to new situations was not one of them. America and Negro liberals can and should honor Lewis, he was a defiant warrior for their causes, not so much for us Black folk who desire to right the first wrong, the taking of our human right to self-determination.”

Paul Streets article in Counterpunch:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/08/05/misleaders-at-a-funeral-bill-clinton-and-barack-obama-eulogizing-racial-justice-in-the-name-of-john-lewis/?fbclid=

I also recommend Ajamu Baraka of the Black Alliance for Peace, and the Black Agenda Report where many African American activists write and express their opinions.