[Peace] Eliot Engel v. Steny Hoyer on Ilhan Omar’s inclusion in the Iran War Powers reindeer games

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:34:55 UTC 2020

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10159042631132656

Eliot Engel v. Steny Hoyer on Ilhan Omar’s inclusion in the Iran War Powers
reindeer games

I assume that everybody who wants to know, knows by now that it was Rep.
Ilhan Omar who pulled the plunger that set the pinball in motion in the
House on Iran War Powers last Sunday that led to the passage of the Iran
War Powers Resolution in the House on Thursday. On Sunday, Rep. Omar
announced that she and Barbara Lee were introducing a House companion to
the Iran War Powers Resolution that Tim Kaine had introduced in the Senate.
Within hours, Dem leadership announced that Rep. Slotkin would be
sponsoring an Iran War Powers Resolution. This was of course a violation of
usual protocol among House Democrats. It was like in Lord of the Flies when
a kid finds a cool seashell on the beach and another kid says, hey, that’s
a cool seashell, it’s mine now. It was like Jackie Robinson getting spiked
at the plate. But to her great credit, rather than complain that her
protocol rights were being violated, Rep. Omar leveraged the situation for
the benefit of humanity. She did Protocol Violation Jujitsu. She said,
fine, I’ll stand down in favor of Slotkin, but in exchange you have to make
the bill tougher. A loss for protocol respect was a win for humanity. But
then House bully Steny Hoyer came and said, I don’t want Ilhan Omar to play
in our reindeer games. But then Eliot Engel said: hey, buddy, that’s a
member of my committee who you’re trying to push out of the schoolyard. So
then Ilhan Omar got to play in the Iran War Powers reindeer games along
with all of the other reindeer.

Eliot Engel awards for the week:

1. Defended the binding concurrent resolution provisions of the War Powers
Resolution of 1973 [the law of the land] by reading from the War Powers
Resolution of 1973 on the House floor.

2. Stood up to House bully Steny Hoyer to insist on the inclusion of Ilhan
Omar in the Iran War Powers reindeer games.

3. Maintained calm librarian demeanor while managing pro-Constitution side
of House debate while a parade of Article I Haters accused Article I
Defenders of being terrorist-loving surrender monkeys. Admittedly, this is
Eliot Engel’s normal demeanor, so he had a home court advantage, but still,
credit where credit is due. All God’s children have different gifts they
can employ for the cause of justice.

I gotta admit, I’m starting to like this Eliot Engel guy a little bit.