[Peace] Read the 'Harper's letter': it's right

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 01:26:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 7:21 PM C. G. Estabrook via Peace <
peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:

Much of what DiMaggio says is a bodily assault on a deceased equine.

What Carl means here is that DiMaggio is beating a dead horse.

> It's as if he’s just discovered the situation, and is shocked that it’s
> affected his career so much.
>
> Surely he can’t just be discovering that "U.S. media and educational
> institutions have never been committed to the free exploration of competing
> views, at least not for those who question corporate power. The sooner we
> stop pretending this landscape represents a free and open exchange of
> ideas, the better.”
>
> Who does?

Who engages in this pretense about the U.S. media and educational
instititutions being committed to the free exploration of competing views?
That the 'landscape' represents a free and open exchange of ideas?
Practically everyone.  Including, of course, the media, and virtually
everyone who makes his living in academia.