[Peace] More AWARE Minutes

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 20:53:07 UTC 2020

More minutes from March 2003:

AWARE Meeting Notes 3/23/03 INTROS MUSIC FROM IRAQ: Sampled CD, short
discussion NEWS OF THE WEEK (Carl): See www.anti-war.net for text EVENTS OF
PAST WEEK: 1. Student Peace Action Rally—About 300 people marched around
campus. No arrests. Marched through Illini Union, marched in the streets.
Police re-routed traffic. Marched to West Side Park Vigil. 2. Move On
Vigil—About 500 people participated. Diverse participants. 3. AWARE Vigil
At West Side Park—People started arriving at 4:30 pm. Many groups marched
to vigil. Lots of singing, candles. 4. PRC Rally—Over 1,000 people
attended. Jello Biafra spoke briefly. 5. Prospect for Peace—About 280
people attended. Need more signs. Police were cooperative. Park at old Best
Buy (around by O’brian Car Dealership. DO NOT PARK AT TIRES PLUS OR LOWES!
They will tow you! Counter protesters were present also. Robert Mckim
called about having signs like “Methodists for Peace.” Security working
group dealing with issues of confrontation with counter demonstrators.
ELECTION UPDATE (Ken): Champaign City Council has 3 seats open. Openings on
Champaign and Urbana School Boards. Ken interested in effort to get
Representative Tim Johnson out of office. Ken is running for Champaign City
Council. Cope Cumston is running for Urbana School Board. Vote on April
1st. FINANCIAL REPORT: We have $2,025. MOSQUE SECURITY (Robert): Mosque has
had people checking on it during night hours. Anyone interested in helping
out should indicate this to Robert. DISCUSSION (What Next?): Carl suggests
talking more publicly in addition to demos, possibility of arranging a
forum at the Champaign Library. Peter Miller spoke in favor of teach-ins,
dialogue, canvassing, etc. in order reach people who are undecided. Working
group on tax resistance. Working Group on Conscientious Objection.How do we
break down the myth of Iraqi liberation?How do we step up resistance?
Supporting the Impeach Bush movement? Republican congress is cutting
veterans’ benefits by 9 million, we need to disseminate this info. Could
instigate a debate on WEFT between AWARE and Pro-War protestors. P4P signs
could have specific info on them, statistics, etc. Could raise funds for
humanitarian NGOs in Iraq. Could send care packages to troops to back up
the “Support Our Troops Send them Home” message. ANNOUNCEMENTS: 3/30 at 4pm
at the IMC, the Nonviolence group will meet for role playing. Jeremy Glick
(author of “Another World is Possible”) will speak about peace on 4/10 at
7pm at the University YMCA. International Solidarity Movement (Palestinian
Truth Tour) coming through on 4/13. More info on ISN event posted as it
becomes available.