[Peace] Where's Danielle? Where's patriarchy?

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 21:07:20 UTC 2020

What's on my mind? Well, frustration about being able to find Danielle,
Elizabeth, sexism, or patriarchy at an AWARE meeting, more than 11/2 years
after its founding by Danielle and Elizabeth, less than "a few years" after
Danielle claimed to have left the organization:

Randall's minutes are exemplary -- a piece of art -- with links to the
articles mentioned, background info incorporated, succint but thorough
summaries of what was said. Many thanks for such a good job. L. -----
Original Message ----- From: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
To: <peace at lists.groogroo.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 1:16 AM
Subject: [Peace] Anti-war calendar and minutes of 5/4/03 AWARE meeting >
Anti-War Calendar: > > May 3 (Saturday): AWARE's long-established "Prospect
for Peace" > demonstration at Prospect and Marketview (2-4PM). > > May 4
(Sunday): AWARE's weekly meeting 5-7PM at the IMC (Independent Media >
Center - 218 W. Main, Urbana). > > June 6-8 (Friday-Sunday) United for
Peace and Justice Nationwide Anti-War > Conference in Chicago. AWARE may
attend. > > October 7 (Tuesday): Noam Chomsky apparently coming to Illinois
at ISU. More > info later. > --------------------------------------------- >
meeting minutes: > > attendance: 20 > > presentation: Dave Johnson of the
Carpenter's Union > > Dave promoted the idea of opposing anticipated
anti-union, anti-worker > developments in Iraq as part of the larger
opposition to the US occupation. > He pointed out it's only reasonable to
expect the administration will > attempt to create a country-wide
"free-trade" zone favorable to US corporate > interests and quash worker
rights and organization as a result. > > Dave talked about Harry Kelber,
who has spent his entire adult life (he is > now 90) in the service of the
labor movement. Kelber is the editor and > founder of the newsletter "The
Labor Educator" ( > http://www.laboreducator.org ). Kelber is a major
proponent of actively > opposing anti-worker/anti-union developments in
Iraq. > > handout: Harry Kelber article: "American Labor Can Play an
Important Role as > Defender of Rights of Iraqi Workers" > > Dave noted
that job site workers seemed to be about evenly divided > pro/anti-war. He
noted that those who used the Internet to access news and > information
were significantly more likely to be anti-war. > > He noted that the
prospect of attacking Syria caused concern even among > pro-war workers. > >
He described how once he informs workers of current developments regarding >
the huge sweetheart contracts being doled out to anti-worker/anti-union >
Bush-friendly/Bush-connected corporations such as Kellogg, Brown & Root and
> Stevedoring, even pro-war workers became more skeptical of what's happening
> in Iraq. > > During discussion, Dave made note of the fact that while
many workers are > aware of and upset about NAFTA, many are uninformed
about issues such as > GATT and WTO and the larger pattern of "free-trade"
globalization. > --------------------------------------------- > news of
the week (sadly, without Carl) > > Lisa: Good article in Sunday New York
Times: "A Classicist's Legacy: New > Empire Builders" by James Atlas
tracing back neo-conservative roots to the > late classicist and political
philosopher Leo Strauss. (ed. note: here is a > link to the article: > >
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/weekinreview/04ATLA.html > > Charlotte:
Israel has explicitly announced they are cracking down on > International
Solidarity Movement non-violent activists (members of ISM were > in town
recently for the Palestinian Truth Tour). (ed. note: From May 3 New > York
Times article: "Britain Holds 6th Person in Tel Aviv Blast": > > "Lt. Gen.
Moshe Yaalon, the chief of staff for the Israeli Army, announced > last
month on army radio that he had given an order to remove the activists >
from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, where they have acted as human >
shields to prevent military operations against the Palestinians, such as >
house demolitions." > > (ed.note: for more information, also see: > >
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=402676 > >
Matt: British cameraman James Miller was killed by Israeli Defense Forces, >
though he was unmistakably and actively identifying himself as a journalist
> (even carrying a white flag). (ed. note: News article covering this from the
> British Independent is at: > >
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=402956 > >
Lisa: Noted that WMD is yet to be found and mentioned she had read that the
> US Administration may be planning to target "enemy" regimes directly >
(assassination, essentially) in the future. > > Linda: Listened to Bob
McChesney's WILL AM 580 show "Media Matters" (Sundays > 1PM) and heard an
interview with the editor of "The Progressive", Matthew > Rothschild,
during which an incident was recounted from 2001 in which > Chicago police
and a Federal postal inspector were called to question Voices > in the
Wilderness because they chose not to buy stamps that depicted the US >
flag. (ed. note: Details at: > >
http://www.progressive.org/webex/wxmc120801.html > > Mort: Mentioned there
was an unusual, good article in Sunday's News-Gazette > on the rife
disinformation in the media regarding the war. > > Ricky: Hawaii passed a
state resolution which opposes the Patriot Act and > encourages resistance
against it within the state. > (ed. note: An article from Hawaii indymedia
is at: > > http://hawaii.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/2164.php > > also, see:
> > http://www.hawaiinews.com/archives/politics/000133.shtml > > David H:
Says he learned of a recent assassination of a Pro-U.S Shia cleric. > (ed.
note: It was unclear whether David was referring to the killing of >
pro-western cleric Abdul Majid al-Khoei in Najaf on April 10 (he had >
returned from exile in London). Much detail on the al-Khoei killing is at: >
> http://www.observer.co.uk/islam/story/0,1442,936060,00.html > > Jeff:
Says he learned Iraqi oil experts and executives were refusing to >
cooperate with US. He also mentioned a Guardian article that described how a
> single family was decimated during the firing of US troops at protestors in
> Fallujah. (ed. note: The article is at: > >
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,949043,00.html > >
Ricky: Added that Agence France Presse (AFP) reported that medical staff >
were fired on during the first Fallujah shooting. > > Mort: Said that a
United Nations humanitarian relief flight was not allowed > to land at
Basra. He said it's not the first time this happened. Someone > else added
the same thing happened with a CARE flight in northern Iraq. > > Peter:
Added that some magnate or celebrity was allowed to land their relief >
flight in Baghdad. > > Franklin Graham's (Billy Graham's son) mission to
convert Iraqis to > Christianity was mentioned. (ed. note: An interesting
article on this is at: > > http://www.counterpunch.org/cajee04112003.html >
> David G: Noted that Democracy Now did an excellent piece last Friday on the
> Carlyle group (ed. note - Carlyle is a secretive, powerful business >
investment firm including a half-brother of Osama Bin Laden, both Bushes, >
Frank Carlucci, Dick Cheney, James Baker, Colin Powell, John Major and >
others. There is a new book exposing Carlyle - "The Iron Triangle". The >
Democracy Now piece is an interview of the author, Dan Briody, by Amy >
Goodman. Link to the audio interview at: > >
http://stream.realimpact.net/rihurl.ram?file=webactive/demnow/dn20030502.ra&
> start=27:35.4 > > Jeff: Chimed in that Bush had a speech at United
Defense in Silicon Valley > during his trip to the aircraft-carrier
photo-op last week. United Defense > is owned by Carlyle. >
--------------------------------------------- > events of the past week: > >
Mike: Mentioned the last two sessions of the Chancellor's campus forum on >
the war. He specifically referenced the last session and what Robert McKim >
had to say. He like much of what McKim presented, including his taking >
evangelicals to task for not opposing the war strongly. > > Mort: Chimed in
on the forum sessions, saying attendance was 25-45. > Described the
sessions as stimulating, but mostly comprised of sterile > academic
discourse followed by more interesting discussion with the > audience. > >
Ken: Attended a talk given by former president of Zambia, Kenneth Kaunda on
> the role of Zambia in the liberation of South Africa. Kaunda is blamed
for > mismanagement of Zambia since he came to power in 1964 and forcing >
dictatorial one-party rule in 1972. These culminated in violent riots in >
1990, which ultimately forced him to allow a multi-party system which >
resulted in his ouster in 1991. Ken noted how curious it was that dictators
> like Kaunda somehow get recycled into lecture circuits. > > Randall:
Attended a weekly Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative (PRC) > meeting
to discuss the idea (touched on last week by Carl and Robert) of a > Sept.
6 anti-war conference bringing together anti-war and progressive > groups.
Found there was solid enthusiasm for such an idea within PRC and > they
encouraged it to go forward. Randall will help to move the idea > forward. >
--------------------------------------------- > Working group reports: > >
Farmer's Market: Farmer's Market at Lincoln Square starts next Saturday. A >
working group headed by Jeff was formed to get a table out with literature,
> signs, etc. Many agreed that tabling at Farmer's Market was very important.
> The working group had their first meeting immediately after the main >
meeting. > > CO: (Mike) Anti-militarism tabling event at Urbana High School
went very > well. This proves that more tabling should be done at Urbana
High and also > in Champaign, if possible. To find an inroad into
Champaign, though, we may > need a parent of a Champaign high school
student or a member of a high > school's faculty to help out (ed. note: can
anyone out there help?). Other > future actions are also called for, such
as leafleting students about their > opt-out rights under the "No Child
Left Behind" rider which otherwise allows > the US to obtain student
information from schools for recruitment purposes. > > P4P: (Ricky)
Attendance was up at P4P this week. Attendance was down at Neil > St.,
though (and they wound up coming to Prospect). Due to lack of > attendance,
there will no longer be an organized Neil St. component > (especially since
the counter-demonstrators should be gone next week). There > were new
signs. New literature was passed out (about 100 copies). > > Incident: The
"pro-war" van often seen circling around heckling us (and > this week, even
flashing us) was pulled over by the cops and subsequently > disappeared. > >
Incident: A couple minutes before 4PM, as things were winding down, a >
couple pro-war bikers apparently decided to go down our entire line, one of
> them (a woman) taking individual close-up photos of people and verbally >
attacking some. It was provocative harassment, though not violent and not >
illegal. Lori asked the woman not to take a photo of her and then >
unfortunately let her emotions get the best of her when she did. Lori >
grabbed the camera and tried to destroy it (though she says she grabbed the
> camera without actually touching the photographer). The cops came running
> and one of them tackled Lori from behind, pinning her to the ground with
a > knee in her back and then cuffed her. All our witnesses agreed
that the cops
> were unnecessarily violent with Lori. The photographer did not press charges
> and Lori was not arrested. Lori was released on-site, but charged with >
resisting arrest and has a court date. She plans to plead not guilty and >
fight the charge. We got together a list of witnesses and asked them to >
write down exactly what they saw as soon as possible. If Lori is fined, a >
collection will be taken to help her out. As of Sunday, Kim Kranich was >
setting up a meeting with Lieutenant Gallo to address this issue. Lesson >
learned: don't let our guard down, even when all seems stable. This incident
> could very well have been avoided if we had enforced the buffer zone by >
protesting the crossover when it happened, appealing to the pro-war >
organizers and the police as necessary. Luckily, this was the last week of >
organized counter-protest. > > Ricky put forth the idea of winding down P4P
during May and quitting at the > end of the month for the summer. > > He
also suggested refreshments next week at P4P. > > Town Meeting: (Mort) Mark
Thompson backed out from participating, so this > working group is
reconsidering/re-evaluating the next step. > > Speaker's Bureau: (Linda)
New meeting of speaker's bureau working group took > place immediately
after main meeting. > > Literature: Mort and Ricky each have their new
documents and continue to > revise them. It was suggested we have final
versions ready to go for > Farmer's Market next week. > > Finances: Gabe
reports a balance of $2073.51. Gabe will order buttons and > bumper
stickers (for Farmer's Market among other things). > > Party 4 Peace:
Lisa's place, Saturday May 17th. Lisa will post more > information later. >
--------------------------------------------- > Upcoming
Events/Miscellaneous > > RSO status: Mike pointed out that the semester is
almost over and we need to > renew RSO status and request a table for Quad
day NOW. > > Lisa: Wondered aloud whether we should try to have closer ties
with and/or > enlist the support of prominent progressive/anti-war voices
such as Bob > McChesney and Francis Boyle. > > Ricky: Alan Dershowitz (the
legal scholar/celebrity who advocates torture in > some circumstances) is
apparently speaking on Monday, May 5 at Foellinger > (ed. note - I couldn't
find any reference to this presentation on any UIUC > web site, but it's
Monday night already, so I guess it's moot). > > Lisa: Looking for socially
responsible consumer tips to include in an > article for the Public I.
Please forward them to her. > > Randall: United for Peace and Justice is
conducting a national anti-war > conference in Chicago June 6-8 and offers
funds to pay for travel and > conference attendance (possibly contingent on
joining UFPJ as an affiliated > group). Randall is interested in going, is
looking into this and will report > next week.