[Peace] Speaker Karen Bass Would Be a Better Bipartisan Partner for Biden Than Nancy Pelosi

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Nov 6 19:17:21 UTC 2020

Speaker Karen Bass Would Be a Better Bipartisan Partner for Biden Than
Nancy Pelosi

With the House and the Senate nearly evenly divided after the election, if
Biden is POTUS, Biden is going to need Republican support in Congress to
get anything done. Regardless of what anyone thought about Biden’s emphasis
on bipartisanship before, objective reality is making that the only game in
town now.

As Speaker of the House, Karen Bass would be a much better partner for the
Biden Administration in working with Congressional Republicans than Nancy
Pelosi.

Karen Bass has better relationships with Congressional Republicans than
Nancy Pelosi does. Karen Bass has a better reputation with Congressional
Republicans for being honest, candid, trustworthy, collegial and
collaborative than Nancy Pelosi does. Karen Bass is results-oriented, a
“work horse, not a show horse.”

Karen Bass would never tear up the President’s State of the Union Address.
Karen Bass would never publicly refer to the Majority Leader of the Senate
as “Moscow Mitch.” That’s not how Karen Bass rolls. She’s not into the
performative stuff. She’s into getting things done.

If someone says to Karen Bass, “we’re going to need the support of some
Republicans to get this done,” Karen Bass says:

“Which Republicans do we need? Which Republicans can we get?”

When she has the answers to that, Karen Bass says:

“Thank you. Please hand me the phone.”