[Peace] Empathy/Russia and China

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 11 21:11:03 UTC 2020

Thanks for this Karen.  I find something naive and simplistic when Lievan talks about "state interests". The “state" meaning what? The leaders of a particular powerful political component of that state? Certainly not necessarily the population of that state. Noting that, one can see some laziness in the whole argument, the compexity of state relations (the relations of the ruling, ownership class) is a nebulous thing.

On the other hand, Lieven as a “realist” of the Quincy Institute makes useful comments about “vital interests” that it would be dangerous to ignore.