[Peace] Axios: Republican control of the Senate is an argument for Coons at State

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Nov 12 22:30:06 UTC 2020

Axios: Republican control of the Senate is an argument for Coons at State

This is the kind of thing that irritates me. This is exactly what I was
afraid of. This is exactly the sort of nonsense up with which I will not
put.

======================

Nov 5, 2020 - Politics & Policy

GOP Senate wins wreak havoc on Biden transition plans

Hans Nichols, Mike Allen

https://www.axios.com/gop-senate-biden-transition-50ebe6c8-e318-4fdb-b903-048908b3b954.html

Republicans' likely hold on the Senate is forcing Joe Biden's transition
team to consider limiting its prospective Cabinet nominees to those who
Mitch McConnell can live with, according to people familiar with the matter.

Why it matters: The new Senate political math could dash the ambitions of
some Democrats, including those who have clashed with Republicans.

It could push Biden to go with more centrist options, like Lael Brainard
for Treasury or Tony Blinken for State, sources tell Axios. [_*NYT has
Blinken as National Security Advisor, consistent with press reports that
Biden wants Blinken close by.*_]

Susan Rice and Stacey Abrams could be early casualties, depending on
McConnell's posture.

*_But it could also open paths for others, like Sen. Chris Coons, who could
benefit from a tradition of senatorial courtesy for quick confirmations of
nominees within its ranks._*

A source close to McConnell tells Axios a Republican Senate would work with
Biden on centrist nominees but no "radical progressives" or ones who are
controversial with conservatives.

[…]

*Be smart*: Biden may end up leaning more on Democratic senators in blue
states, or ex-senators.

_*That could boost Coons' case for State._* And Alabama Sen. Doug Jones,
who lost on Tuesday, may have an easier time than Yates at Justice.

*_If Biden appoints Coons to State, Democrats wouldn't be down a seat in
the Senate, as Delaware’s Democratic governor John Carney could quickly
appoint Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester to the seat. That would ensure Senate
Democrats have at least one Black woman in their ranks._*

*=============*

OK. Here’s why this is 100% horse manure.

If it’s all about Senators, Chris Murphy and Tammy Duckworth and Susan
Collins are Senators. Are you kidding me? Dems have at least 48. We can’t
get three Senate Rs for Chris Murphy at State instead of Chris Coons? We
can’t get three Senate Rs for Tammy Duckworth or Susan Collins at Defense
instead of Saudi Fan Flournoy? Connecticut and Illinois are just as blue as
Delaware. Connecticut and Illinois and Maine have Democratic governors,
just like Delaware. This is horse manure.

If it’s not all about Senators, what’s wrong with William Burns at State?
He’s career Foreign Service. He was Deputy Secretary of State. What did he
do to Republicans? What did he have to do with Benghazi? We can't get three
Republicans to vote for William Burns?

Oh and by the way, there are African-American women who can be in the
Senate in Connecticut and Illinois, did you know? Did you get the memo?
Jahana Hayes, a member of the Connecticut House delegation, can be in the
Senate. Robin Kelly and Lauren Underwood, members of the Illinois House
delegation, can be in the Senate. You’re really going to use identity
politics as an excuse? You’re really going to use identity politics as an
excuse to cram Saudi Flournoy and AIPAC Coons down our throats?