[Peace] NPR is shocked that Trump's Afghanistan drawdown might be "political"

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Nov 16 23:51:57 UTC 2020

I know not what course others may take. But I am *shocked, shocked* to
discover that there might be political considerations going on in this
restaurant.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/16/935513762/white-house-orders-thousands-of-u-s-troops-withdrawn-from-afghanistan-and-iraq

White House Orders Thousands Of U.S. Troops Withdrawn from Afghanistan and
Iraq
November 16, 20205:49 PM ET
DUSTIN JONES

The White House will bring home 2,500 troops from Afghanistan and Iraq by
the end of the year against the guidance of top military officials, a
drawdown order that reduces the American presence by about a third, from
4,500 to 2,500 in Afghanistan and 3,000 to 2,500 in Iraq, according to a
U.S. official.

NPR's Tom Bowman reported the move is opposed by senior military leaders
[Cry me a river! How many votes did they get?]

[...]

Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Marine
Gen. Frank McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, have advised the troop
reduction be pushed to the spring, Bowman reported. [Of course! *Morgen,
morgen, nur nicht heute, sagen alle faulen Leute*.]

[...]

Trump campaigned in 2016 on bringing the U.S. military presence in Iraq and
Afghanistan to an end. [Monster!] Last month, the president tweeted, "We
should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving
in Afghanistan home by Christmas!"

The withdrawal will likely have little effect on the ground, Bowman
reported, since U.S. forces will still be training elements of the Afghan
military. U.S. airstrikes against Taliban forces will also continue since
forces fly out of Kuwait and other countries in the region.

[Oh, wait! It's a nothing burger! Which is it? Scandal or nothing burger?
It cannot be both.]