[Peace] [marxmail] Dianna Ortiz, American Nun Tortured in Guatemala, Dies at 62

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Fri Feb 26 05:39:51 UTC 2021

The following is from the Wikipedia article:

"In a 1996 widely recounted interview with Ortiz on the TV news program Nightline, American journalist Cokie Roberts contested Ortiz's claim that an American was among her captors. Roberts implied that Ortiz was lying about the entire episode, despite the fact that Ortiz later won a lawsuit against a Guatemalan general she accused in the case.[10] It was later revealed that Patton Boggs, the law firm of Roberts' brother Tom Boggs, was paid by the Guatemalan government to promote a more positive image of the regime, which was widely criticized internationally for human rights abuses.[11][12][13]”

Ortiz’ own account is presumably in • "'The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth" (Dianna Ortiz, with Patricia Davis, Orbis, 2002), 484 pages - which I haven’t read.

Requiescant in pace.