[PeoplesPotluck] Duplex condemned; Mother and Son soon to be homeless

Laurie Nobilette laurie.nobilette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:48:24 CDT 2009

Hello All,
Tuesday a woman called the worker house trying to find a place for her and
her son who are facing eviction. This Friday, the City of Champaign will
condemn the duplex she and her son live, along with another tenant. The
landlord did not keep the building up to code but did not inform the tenants
of these problems. The same landlord owns other properties in town, some of
which are being foreclosed on. The woman I talked to said she explained to
the city that she had no where else to go, but their response was that
relocating tenants wasn't their job.

So I have a few questions:

Is this legal?
Is there something the tenants can do to avoid eviction?
Is the city legally obligated to assist them in some way?
I plan on going there Friday morning...would anyone else like to meet at
this property (410 Church St, Ch) Friday morning to help and support these
tenants?

If anyone has any advice to offer, send it this way! Or, if you want to meet
Friday, you can let me know or just show up!

Thanks,

Laurel Nobilette
Catholic Worker House