[Prairiegreens-action] actions supporting the Battle for the Ballot

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 7 16:04:53 CDT 2000

Jim Buell said:

> With the Battle for the Ballot under way at the Chicago Board of Elections
> through at least next week, we need to give serious thought to how best to
> support the effort. Suggestions have been made to hold one or more press
> conferences/rallies outside the building there, and at the statehouse in
> Springfield (where laws re ballot access are passed). What kinds of support
> might we be able to give these rallies as a group? What might we want to do
> as a group here in C/U? What sorts of numbers, strategizing and energy
> might we be able to bring to efforts of this kind?

I can't make the meeting tonight, so here are a few (maybe weak)
thoughts.  As for rally points, the closest similar government
structure in the county would be the courthouses -- federal and county
-- in downtown Urbana.  The county offices are less ideal especially
since the area is low traffic.  I think some local event would be great,
whether or not people can go to Springfield or Chicago for those.  It might
have more effect if all of these events are simultaneous across the state.

To drive the point home, we could rally outside of the Champaign
County Democratic Party's office, wherever that is, as they are the chief
challengers.  Then again, the Republican Party is also partly to blame
for the current legislation, and as an event this summer proved, the
corner of Green & Neil is a nice high-traffic place to quickly spread the
word to those on the move.

Arun