[Prairiegreens-action] Uaker, and have been reading, or am rather just beginning to read,

Elicia Tippins subcordate at scoundrels.org
Wed Sep 29 17:36:50 CDT 2010

Ou write perfectly intelligibly. Marry, the letters
are not all of the same size or tallness; but that
only shows your proficiency in the _hands_--text, german-hand,
court-hand, sometimes law-hand, and affords variety. You pen better
than you did a twelvemonth ago; and if you continue to improve, you
bid fair to win the golden pen which is the prize at your young
gentlemen's academy. * * * * * But don't go
and lay this to your eyes. You always wrote hieroglyphically, yet not
to come up to the mystical notations and conjuring characters of Dr.
Parr. You never wrote what
I call a schoolmaster's
hand, like Mrs. Clarke; nor a woman's hand, like Southey; nor a
missal hand,
like Porson; nor an all-on-the-wrong-side
sloping hand, like Miss Hayes; nor a dogmatic, Mede-and-Persian,
peremptory tory hand, like Rickman:
but you wrote what I call a Grecian's hand,--what the Grecians write
(or wrote) at Christ's Hospital; such as Whalley would have admired,
and Boyer [2] have applauded,
but Smith or Atwood [writing-masters] would have horsed you for. Your
boy-of-genius hand and your mercantile hand
are various. By your flourishes, I should

think you never learned to make eagles or cork