[volunteer] Fwd: [Prairiegreens-org] Canvassing in Champaign County Board District 9

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:04:05 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:42:36 -0500
Subject: [Prairiegreens-org] Canvassing in Champaign County Board District 9
To: Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Thanks to the generosity and trust of so many, my campaign has raised
nearly $1500. I will be sending thank yous out to my donors soon, but
let this message be an interim thank you to all who were able to contribute.

Yard signs have been ordered and should be here next week for
distribution. My campaign has been endorsed by AFSCME and I am reaching
out to other labor and community groups. If you have a suggestion of
someone I should speak to, who will support my campaign, or who wants a
yard sign, please pass it along.

I've been doing some canvassing myself and have requests for more than
two dozen signs in critical locations. But we will soon have way more
signs than that coming, plus the need to reach out to voters with the
message of change that is so important right now.

Thus, I hope that you'll consider joining me to expand the canvassing of
District 9. There are 5 weekends left before the election and some 6,000
voters yet to contact in some way. Obviously, we cannot get to everyone,
but we can contact more than enough so that most will either hear about
my campaign or see my signs close to their home.

I will be sending reminders out to join me in canvassing before the
weekend in coming weeks. If you'd like to be taken off my list, just let
me know and I won't bother you with this again. I realize this is a very
busy season for everyone, but to win will take some walking and talking
to voters.

This weekend (Oct 4 and 5), we'll start at 2pm on Saturday, Oct 4, so as
to accommodate my and others' need to join the Unity March V.

Being on my list, you're probably active enough in our community to
already know all about this, but here's a link to info on that:
http://www.ucimc.org/node/3417

I encourage you to join with me in supporting the referendum on the
November ballot to grant minimal funding to support the poorest of the
poor in City of Champaign Township, as well as reminding everyone about
how far we still must travel to have a truly inclusive community.

On Sunday, Oct. 5, we'll start at 1pm. Both days this weekend, we'll
start from my house at 608 E. Green St. (at Green and Anderson, four
blocks east of the Urbana city building.)

Each day, we'll be heading out by a quarter past the hour (2:15pm on
Sat. and 1:15pm on Sunday.) Call me (344-5609) before a quarter past the
hour, if you're running a little late, and I can wait for you. I'll have
walksheets, clipboards and literature ready. We won't go past 5pm, so
I'll be back at my place by 4:30pm to collect things. If you've not done
this before, we can pair you up with someone to build your confidence in
being able to do this basic part of exercising democracy. Bring along
some water and dress according to the weather. It looks very nice this
weekend, but remember this is a season of change.

I will very much appreciate any aid you can give to this effort, even if
it is just for a few hours on one day. This race is very winnable. By
concentrating on arterial streets first, people will be seeing a lot of
my signs very soon, in large part through the responsive group of
supporters who have already made this campaign a viable threat of change
to the current county board.

Thank you,

Mike Lehman