[Rfu-barnraising] Re: Volunteer Needs for the WRFU Barnraising

Kate Protagonist katharan at prometheusradio.org
Fri Nov 4 20:28:45 CST 2005

Just a quick amendment--we'll plug in volunteers during the barnraising
around workshops, so the shifts for registration and food preparation and
clean up will work around the workshop schedule--more like 2 hour shifts,
although 4 hours is certainly encouraged!

since meal preps are happening offsite, we'll need quite a few people,
including local drivers, to pitch in with transporting and making food--

We'll also need local drivers especially to be on shift/on call through
registration to make last minute runs to home depot, radio shack, etc!

Thanks Mike!  I get to urbana on sunday, and will help with volunteer
coordination and outreach.

Kate

> Hi Everyone,
> This is a list of things we specifically need volunteers for to help
> with in preparing for the Radio Free Urbana barnraising, the barnraising
> itself, and the IMC all-ages, no-smoking first floor performance space's
> grand opening.
>
> Please reply to the barnraising list --
> Rfu-barnraising at lists.chambana.net -- or to the specific contacts
> mentioned below if you can help with anything on this list or just show
> up to help as indicated.
>
> Through the efforts of dozens of volunteers, we've come very far toward
> putting another community radio station on the air here in
> Urbana-Champaign, but we're coming down to the wire and we need all the
> help we can get over the next week to show our barnraising visitors just
> how active this town is and why we're such a media hotspot.
>
> Volunteers for these tasks are needed to prepare for the barnraising.
> * Email this message to anyone or any list that may be able to help
> * WRFU Farmer's Market Booth -- the last one of the year! Sat. Nov. 5
> from 7am to noon -- contact Lynsee, Lynsee at illinoisalumni.org
> * 9-noon this Saturday, Nov. 5, at the IMC -- workday to send out a
> final mailing, prepare the space to relocate the mailboxes on Sunday, etc.
> We need HELP WITH:
> - painting
> - sending out mail invites to the barnraising
> - picking up a freezer donation
> - picking up food and supplies
> - wiring phone and ethernet on the first floor
> - moving furniture
> - and more! Come to the loading dock door!
> * Volunteer to assist IMC construction, shifts from 9am-1pm and from
> 1-5pm on weekdays next week and a special session this Sunday from
> morning until 3pm -- contact Danielle, chyn at ojctech.com
> * pick up food donations -- contact Molly, molly at ucimc.org if you have a
> vehicle
> * put up flyers and handbill -- contact Lynsee
> * Wednesday, Nov. 9, -- staff IMC Shows booth on the UI Quad from
> 11am-3pm -- Contact Jenny, jlstewar at cyrus.psych.uiuc.edu
> * Volunteer to work on WRFU membership and training, contact John,
> phlegm at diymedia.net
> * Volunteer to help with streaming and automation of WRFU
>
> During the Barnraising
> * Staff the registration tables -- The shifts will be 4 hours long
> starting at 8AM Friday until at least midnight-4AM Saturday.  Saturday
> from 8AM till 8 or 9PM. Sunday 8AM till at least 6PM.  -- Contact Kevin,
> kopelman1 at yahoo.com
> * Document the Barnraising for news and posterity -- contact Wendy,
> wedwards at uiuc.edu or just show up and Be the Media -- this is an IMC!
> * Drivers, with vehicles or without
> * Five to ten people especially needed to get things up and going on
> Friday, Nov. 11 starting in the morning
>
> Local people attending the barnraising have a special $45 suggested
> [...]

LPFM and Community Wireless Join Forces!

our next barnraising
Champaign Urbana Illinois
November 11-13, 2005.

Independent Media Center