[Rfu-barnraising] press release

Lynsee Melchi Lynsee at illinoisalumni.org
Sat Oct 1 08:25:08 CDT 2005

Hey guys

Here's the press release I wrote up. Let me know if/how it should be
amended:

The Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center and Prometheus Radio
Project present...
WRFU, Radio Free Urbana, 104.5 FM.

The Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center (IMC) proudly announces
the first on-air date of its new low power FM station, WRFU. The IMC is
collaborating with Prometheus Radio Project, a national grassroots radio
initiative, the weekend of November 11-13, 2005 to host a radio "barn
raising." This event features the construction of the entire station in
one weekend with the help of hundreds of volunteers from around the
country. The end product is a fully functioning radio station that will
go on air at the end of the weekend on Nov 13th. The conference will
also include workshops and speakers by national and international
community radio gurus on various topics of interest to those in
independent radio. This barn raising will tie in a community wireless
project organized by Champaign Urbana Community Wireless Network
(CUWin). Most importantly, the event is a way to build strength and
unity within the community radio movement among different groups around
the country.

Radio Free Urbana will broadcast at 100W out of the new IMC building
located at 202 S. Broadway in downtown Urbana and will reach the
populations of Champaign and Urbana. The station will feature an
eclectic mix of talk, music, and radio drama programmed almost
exclusively by members of the community. Our goal is to strengthen the
community's voice by offering more public options to a genre of
communication dominated almost exclusively by private corporate
interests.

Come join us in bringing this great project to our community! For more
information please check out these important websites:

WRFU, Radio Free Urbana (www.wrfu.net)
Prometheus Radio Project (www.prometheusradio.org)
Champaign Urbana Wireless Network (www.cuwireless.net)