{leti} Re: [Rfu-barnraising] the automation question

Andy Gunn andy at prometheusradio.org
Fri Oct 28 15:32:11 CDT 2005

i did get that email, thanks gary.  it might be a good idea to start thinking about having an automation system installed, so people can start trying it out and loading music into it.  it might be necessary to have something for those times at night when there are no djs.

automation can totally be done without a fancy package tho - just clever use of playlists in your favorite media player - winamp, foobar, windows media, itunes, whatever.

just to clarify for people (not to sound condescending) - when i say automation, i really mean a peice of software that is set up to fill the time between djs.  it usually has an interface designed specifically for radio.  playlists can be generated, events can be triggered at certain times (like station ids at the top of the hour and so on), and it can run specific schedule etc.

i sent out some examples of the software packages before, but take a look at some of these to get an idea of what i am talking about.
http://otsdj.com/
http://www.stationplaylist.com/
http://www.megaseg.com/ (for mac)
http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/
http://www.campware.org/en/camp/livesupport_news/

to address your earlier question, i think we can definately get that windows computer set up and going with a media player and system scheduler.  that last program sounds interesting, i have not used it before.
-a

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, gary cziko wrote:

> Andy et al.:
>
> I thought that I had responded earlier that I would like to automatize
> broadcasting Radio Bilingue from the Internet from 2 to 3 or 2 to 4 pm
> weekdays.  For this, I would need a Windows machine (XP Pro
> preferred), Windows Media Player and System Scheduler (free version).
>
> This system could also be used to do some simple station ID, but
> something more sophisticated would probably be needed for other types
> of automatization.
>
> It would probably make to have one Windows computer to start out and
> then conside a Linux system if more  automatization is going to be
> done (which I don't think has been decided yet).
>
> --Gary
>
> On 10/27/05, Andy Gunn <andy at prometheusradio.org> wrote:
> > i am still curious what automation package your station has decided to use - no one has responded with that information.  if you are going to have djs on 100% of the time, that is great!  otherwise, you will need something to schedule in program content and station identifications, at least.
> >
> > we can try out some of the free linux packages if you are worried about the cost of the commerical automation packages.
> >
> > -a
> >

> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, doug hoepker wrote:
> >
> > > For certain, we have one computer with Windows XP that
> > > is ready to go. It will be used for a variety of
> > > purposes. It would be good to have a second computer
> > > near the console that can be used for typing up
> > > playlists, something that we'll need to ask all
> > > airshifters to do. If that computer has internet
> > > access, it would also be good.
> > >
> > > -Doug

|  Andy Gunn - Technical and Training Organizer  |
| Prometheus Radio Project - prometheusradio.org |
|    andy at prometheusradio.org   215-727-9620     |

| Come to our next radio station Barnraising and community wireless |
| congregation!  November 11 to 13, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.     |
| Prometheus Radio Project * UC Independent Media Center * WRFU-LP  |
| Check http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana/ for more details!    |