{leti} Re: [Rfu-barnraising] the automation question

Andy Gunn andy at prometheusradio.org
Fri Oct 28 18:52:59 CDT 2005

some of the programs can.  if that is an essential service you need, i would suggest investigating which programs have the feature set you need.  or you could use a mix of an automation program and the system scheduler thing you are talking about.

-a

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, gary cziko wrote:

> Andy:
>
> Can the automation programs you mention play live streams from the Internet
> at certain times? Can they monitor the stream and try to connect again if it
> drops, or go to a backup stream or internal playlist if it drops again?
>
> I use System Scheduler to automatically run the Latino Radio Service (
> http://latinoradioservice.org) 27/7 here on the University of Illinois
> campus (low-power campus free radiate), and it works pretty well. I doubt,
> however, that there is any other station anywhere that gets all its content
> from the Internet, so I wouldn't be surprised if none of these programs can
> do that.
>
> I will unfortunately be in Taiwan during the barnraising so I will not be
> able to help in setting this up. But I will be back the following and do
> what I can do to help with the automation issues.
>
> --Gary
>
> On 10/28/05, Andy Gunn <andy at prometheusradio.org> wrote:
> >
> > i did get that email, thanks gary. it might be a good idea to start
> > thinking about having an automation system installed, so people can start
> > trying it out and loading music into it. it might be necessary to have
> > something for those times at night when there are no djs.
> >
> > automation can totally be done without a fancy package tho - just clever
> > use of playlists in your favorite media player - winamp, foobar, windows
> > media, itunes, whatever.
> >
> > just to clarify for people (not to sound condescending) - when i say
> > automation, i really mean a peice of software that is set up to fill the
> > time between djs. it usually has an interface designed specifically for
> > radio. playlists can be generated, events can be triggered at certain times
> > (like station ids at the top of the hour and so on), and it can run specific
> > schedule etc.
> >
> > i sent out some examples of the software packages before, but take a look
> > at some of these to get an idea of what i am talking about.
> > http://otsdj.com/
> > http://www.stationplaylist.com/
> > http://www.megaseg.com/ (for mac)
> > http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/
> > http://www.campware.org/en/camp/livesupport_news/
> >
> > to address your earlier question, i think we can definately get that
> > windows computer set up and going with a media player and system scheduler.
> > that last program sounds interesting, i have not used it before.
> > -a

|  Andy Gunn - Technical and Training Organizer  |
| Prometheus Radio Project - prometheusradio.org |
|    andy at prometheusradio.org   215-727-9620     |

| Come to our next radio station Barnraising and community wireless |
| congregation!  November 11 to 13, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.     |
| Prometheus Radio Project * UC Independent Media Center * WRFU-LP  |
| Check http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana/ for more details!    |