[Rfu-barnraising] RFU and Media Production Space Proposal

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Sep 30 21:14:58 CDT 2005

Folks -

On Tuesday RFU consensed to a proposal for RFU studio construction.  On
Wednesday space did not come to consensus about the RFU space.  On
Thursday steering consensed to the latest plans except for the caged area
and RFU space - the latter to be left up to space and RFU to work through
together by Wednesday of this week which is the latest we can make a
decision and stay on target in our construction schedule.

Here are two proposals to be discussed online and then at RFU meeting
(Tues @ 8) and Space meeting (Wed @ 8).  #1 is about process #2 is a
proposal for RFU construction.

Please view and comment on the proposal and design layout at:
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/96795/index.php

The proposals without the layout are below.

PROCESS PROPOSAL

The IMC makes decisions via consensus. Consensus is reached when all
concerns about a proposal are resolved.  In the consensus process,
proposals as well as concerns are owned by the group as a whole, not the
individuals raising them.

We are all IMC members looking out for the short and long term interests
of the organization.  When framing your proposals and concerns, consider
the community we serve, the needs of all working groups, and financial
health of the IMC.

1) View the proposal online at:
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/96795/index.php

2) Post a comment at the above URL to express concerns about the proposal.

3) Upload/post alternate proposals to the same URL in an attempt to
resolve concerns.

4) Come to the RFU meeting Tuesday at 8 pm to hear from RFU members and
provide input.  The RFU meeting is open to the public.

5) If a resolution is not reached by the end of the RFU meeting, we can
designate a caucus to meet afterwards to try to formulate a proposal to
resolve outstanding concerns.  A caucus is a small group of people with
representatives of the various outstanding concerns.

6) Come to the Space meeting Wednesday at 8 pm which is also open to the
public.  Steering has empowered those who attend space on Wednesday to
make a final decision on the layout of the building.  Wednesday is our
drop dead deadline if we are to meet our construction deadline.

LAYOUT PROPOSAL:

Please view and respond using comments to the proposal *online* at:
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/96795/index.php

The proposed layout is drawn to scale.  What is being proposed is only new
construction (in red and yellow).  The green (furniture) is only to show
how it is possible to fit into the space and does not need to be condensed
to at this time.

This proposal:

- Makes the smallest number of changes to the space.  This means it will
be the most cost effective.

- Provides working space for every media production group: RFU, radio
pre-production, video, print, as well as IMC staff.  It gives finance
access to the safe.  In addition, we can consider additional production
space in the lower level for all groups as needed.

- Provides for wheelchair clearance for the RFU airshifter and guests.

- Provides space for 3-5 in-studio guests and a lounge outside where
guests can wait and see into the studio.

- Provides space for all equipment and some CD storage.

- Allows the airshifter to see into the production room to broadcast group
interviews.

- Is fully sound proof while keeping RFU visible to the community.  The
two windows would be made of two 5' x 4' panes of glass 1/2 to 3/4" thick.
Each pane would be individually framed and sealed.

In the future, if RFU finds it needs more space, it can grow east into the
production room and a new room can be built for other media production.

This proposal requires RFU to use a standard 12-channel mixing board which
is about 24"-30".   There has been an offer of a $500 donation for a new
board.  I propose IMC make up the $1000-1500 difference when it takes out
a construction loan and have RFU pay this back over time.

The current 42" by 64" mega board would be located in the balcony and used
by shows and RFU to mix sound for performances and live broadcasts.  This
location gives the mixer perfect view of the stage.

I welcome your thoughts.

- Danielle