[Rfu-outreach] Some documents

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:57:35 CDT 2006

Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part --------------
What I know about fundraising...by Lynsee Melchi

Grants
New Voices:
Link: http://www.j-newvoices.org/index.php/site/story/2005rfp

Paul Robeson:
http://fdncenter.org/pnd/rfp/rfp_item.jhtml;jsessionid=YVF5H1BWDWLIJTQRSI4CGXD5AAAACI2F?id=5300061

J-lab Grants:
J-FLASH
> J-Lab: The Institute for Interactive Journalism
> www.J-Lab.org November 2005
> DUE FEB. 8: COMMUNITY MEDIA PROPOSALS

Media Justice Fund Grants: For more about the Media Justice
Fund visit: http://www.fex.org/mjf.shtml

Request Letters

Meijer
Get form @ the service desk
Talk about publicity for Meijer and RFU's mission in the request letter

Walgreens
Send letterhead w/who, what, when
Fax: 217-529-9857
Multiple requests possible

Schnucks
Write request on letterhead
fax: 337-6086 (Urbana)
They really only give out to schools...

Herriot's
Send letterhead of all needs/when needed/info about organization
Fax: 352-7207 (attn: donation committee)
Ask for free rental if possible

Sam's Club
Pick application at the store
Send request @ the end of the month

Panera
email: marketing at slbgm.com w/name, purpose of org, purpose of event, date and time of event, # of people, specific request
Need to send a copy of tax exempt letter w/tax exempt #

Menards
351-5701 (building materials #)
Contact them on the national level
Fax: 715-876-2868
Attn: Donations committee
Requests are reviewed 1x per week

Lowe's
373-7300
fax:373-5266
Spoke w/Mike May, manager
Submit request/mail/fax/or bring in
Reviewed on a monthly basis

Champaign Do-It Best Hardware
356-6454
Talk to George Edwards the owner, he has offered us a 25% discount
Mismatched paints, etc are very cheap

Sunnycrest True Value
367-6458
Call early in the day for owner, Arlene

Paradiso
talk to Melissa 384-6066

Espresso Royale
Talk to Doug at Windsor/Duncan location (his cell: 766-8787)

Home Depot
356-2629
Need copy of 501c3 letter
Fax: 403-0713

IGA
corporate office: Kirby Foods 352-2600
Send letterhead w/request, date, cause, contact

Kinko's
Go thru corporate 1-800-2-KINKOS
BUT also call the local office cos I totally got the runaround from local/corporate offices.  BUT we got a 50% discount on all printing for the barnraising

Walnut St Tea
351-6975
Talk to Betty the owner

Zelma's
Owner likes progressive groups

CDC Paper and Janitor Supply
352-3292
Talk to Larry the owner
We can definitely get a 10% discount

Groups that actually helped us:
Paradiso
Espresso Royale
Manzellas
Red Herring
Panera
Innocent Words
Parasol
Polyvinyl Records
That's Rentertainment
Exile on Main St.
corkscrew

-------------- next part --------------
Outreach

Tabling
Farmer's Mkt (summer/early fall)
**go to Urbana Business Assoc for info

Mkt @ the sqaure (winter in the mall)
**go to Urbana Business Assoc for info

Quad Day (late Aug when school starts)
**go to RSO office for info

Sweetcorn Fest (late Aug)
**go to UBA for info

AMBUCS Fest (mid-Sept)
**get in touch w/AMBUCS for info

Groups to target
Highschoolers: have an intro to radio program for hs kids/afterschool or something
U of I student groups (go to www.uiuc.edu/ro for lists of groups)
Parkland student groups
Boys and Girls Club: radio program for kids
Urban League: radio program for kids, etc

Can we put links up on our website for local record labels?

Look for "silences" in the community:
county jail
Times center
Cunningham orphanage
Health clients (CHCC)
PACE
Refuge Center
Punk rockers/HS dropouts
Koreans/Vietnamese
Urban League Radio Project

Have workshops on radio stuff:
pirate radio (Mbanna Katanko in Springfield)
audio production
Mark Rubel (pogo studios)

Music contacts:

Homegrown Music Network: chris robie  robie at homegrownmusic.net

Seth Hubbard, Press guy @ Polyvinyl Records: press at polyvinylrecords.com
        I've been talking to Seth a lot about all this RFU stuff and he's interested in helping us out.  He may have some ideas on how to do this thing as it's job related for him.  Tell him I sent ya!

Megan Kniepkamp, local Sony rep: mkniepkamp at hotmail.com

Troy @ Innocent Words: innocentwords10 at aol.com
       I've already got a stack of CDs from Troy for our collection, but he is super friendly and may be a good source for advice, etc.  He's been super helpful as far as general advice, ideas, and support goes for RFU!!!

Kevin Elliot (w/WEFT and Sandra's husband): coordinate getting folk/alt country/bluegrass CDS

Flyering routes
*******************************************************************************************************************************
1. West Main Quad- Altgeld, Henry Admin, English, Lincoln, Gregory, pillar outside Union, Illini Hall, Coble Hall, Arcade Bldg (Financial Aid,etc)

2. East Main Quad- Natural History, Noyes, Chem Annex, Davenport, FLB, Burrill (hit the library on main floor), Morrill, Smith Memorial Hall, Harker Hall (the U of I hotel), Medical Sciences Bldg, Roger Adams Lab, Chemical and Life Sciences Lab

3. Southeast of Quad- Madigan Lab, Turner Hall, Plant Sciences Lab, Animal Sciences Lab, Bevier, Mumford, Ag Engineering Bldg, ACES library

4. Soutwest of Quad- Main and Undergrad libraries, Art and Design Building, Education building, DKH, Survey Bldg, Wohlers, Architecture Bldg, Temple Buell Hall

5. North of Quad- Everitt, Engineering Hall, Materials Science Bldg, , Grainger, Talbot Lab, DCL, Kenney Gym, Newmark Lab, Micro/Nano Tech Lab, Ciebold Hall, Coordinated Science Lab, Beckman, IDF

6. Northeast of Quad- Mech Engineering Bldg, Nuclear Radiations Lab, Transportation Bldg, Nuclear Eng Lab, Uni High, Campbell Hall, Loomis, Seitz Lab, Superconductivity Center, Daniels Hall (dorm)

7. East of Quad- Red Herring/Channing Murray (also board outside, you will need strong tape), Krannert (boards are downstairs), La Casa, Wesley Foundation, Espresso, African American Cultural Program, Music Building, Bread Co., Native American House, East Asian Languages and Cultures Bldg, etc (there are a lot of little houses around here for the University)

8. West of Quad- *there are a lot of businesses on 6th st/Daniels St missing from this list, so just walk around and ask folks if you can put up a flyer* YMCA, McKinley Foundation, International Studies, Illini Tower, Rentertainment, Espresso, Panera, Armory, Newman Hall, Psych Bldg, Library & Info Sciences Bldg, Gen Curriculum Bldg, International Studies Bldg, Sherman Hall

9. dorms- take 27 flyers to 100 Clark Hall for approval
FAR- 1001 College Ct., Urbana (2)
PAR- 906 W. College Ct., Urbana (6)
Allen Hall- 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana (1)
Busey-Evans- 1111 W. Nevada St., Urbana (1)
LAR-1005 S. Lincoln, Urbana (1)
ISR- 1012 S. Illinois St., Urbana (3)
Peabody- 206 E. Peabody, Champaign (4)
Gregory- 201 E. Gregory, Champaign (4)
Daniels Hall- 1010 W. Green St., Champaign (3)
Sherman Hall- 909 S. 5th St., Champaign (2)

10. Downtown Champaign- Aroma, Cafe Kopi, The Esquire, The Music Shoppe, ProSound, CV Lloyde, Dandelion, LIX, Carrie's, Jupiter's, Verdent Cafe, Library, Carson's Music, Le Shoppe, Jane Addams, Radio Maria, Sam's Diner, Fiesta Cafe, Wright Sound CD Exchange, WEFT, Skins n Tins, Great Impasta, Douglas Branch, Springer Center, Salvation Army, Robeson Hall, etc

11. Downtown Urbana-*I already fliered most of downtown Urbana, so this is what needs to be covered yet* Shoe Store, Guitar store, Mirabelle, ISEN, Bike Works, Tax places might be good too, grocery stores, Lil Porgy's, Post Office, Cinema Art Gallery

12. Campustown/Green St.-*this is not an exhaustive list* Espresso, Bogarts, TIS, Green St Coffee, El Desmadre, Za's, New Life Tattoo, Marakech, Undercover, Smoke Shack, Art Coop (board is outside the door), Mark of Cain Tattoo, Jerusalem Cafe, Ari-Rang, etc...just walk up and down Green St asking businesses.

13. Other-Samuel Music, Borders, Pages for All Ages, Nutritional Food Store

American Classifieds: americanclassifieds.com
**you can post an internet ad for free

Girl Scouts: Billie Waddell billie at gsgmc.org

-------------- next part --------------
Publicity

Get in touch w/Kim Kranich re: radio/tv contacts (kranich at uiuc.edu)

Articles written about us

Buzz
by Seth Fein/Jan13-19, 2005/"Support Local Radio"

Hub
by Heather Zydek/Jan 20, 2005/"Radio Free Urbana hosts fundraiser"

Parkland Prospectus
by Jon Volkman/Jan 26, 2005/"Radio Free...Urbana?"  (also a featured article abt LPFM)

GunNews Magazine
by John Boch/Mar 2005/"Will they recognize our self-defense rights? Radio 'Free Urbana' coming soon"

Prairie Flame
copy of our info handout/Mar 2005/"Public Radio coming to Urbana-Champaign"

Active Senior
by Lynsee Melchi/Mar 2005/"Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center"

Women's Independent Press
by Pam Crews/April 2005/"WRFU, something new for C/U-104.5FM on your radio dial?"

Innocent Words
blurb in Aug/Sept 2005 issue

Radio Spots
Sidetrack on WILL Jan 26, 2005 (another date I can't remember...)
IMC Radio News March-ish 2005
Media Matters Aug 2005

TV
Ch 3 aired on Nov 13, 2005

Active Senior: deadline is every 15th of the month
Jason Gingold: tas_jasong at hotmail.com
You submit the article.  Word length=350 words

La Tejanita
tejanita007 at aol.com

40 N website calendar: http://www.40north.org/events/events.html

Accent Paper
As far as the Gazette goes... I would suggest sending a press release to a few
different people. That way you might attract at least one person's attention.
I'd suggest the following:
Mike Howie, City Editor, mhowie at news-gazette.com
Sally Weeks, Features Editor, sweeks at news-gazette.com
Don Dodson, Business Editor, ddodson at news-gazette.com
Kirby Pringle, Reporter (features), kpringler at news-gazette.com
Deb Pressey, Reporter (business), dpressey at news-gazette.com

And for all meetings and events, include a listing to features at news-gazette.com
That's the address to get in the Gazette calendars. Good luck!

Amy Eckert
The News-Gazette
15 E. Main St.
P.O. Box 677