[Trees-bn] had happened, wi

Cauthen Gushiken amalgamize at travmedia.com
Wed Apr 21 14:04:41 CDT 2010

Ion to spend any

part of our time in the streets. We made cages, pipes, kites,
drums, houses, ships, and bows; spoiled the tools of my good old
grandfather by endeavoring to make watches in imitation of him; but our
favorite amusement was wasting

paper, in drawing, washing, coloring, etc. There came
an Italian mountebank to Geneva, called Gamber-Corta, who had an
exhibition of puppets, that

he made play a
kind of comedy. We went once
to see them, but could not spare time to go again, being busily employed
in making puppets of our own and inventing

comedies, which
we immediately set about making them perform, mimicking to the best of
our abilities the uncouth voice of Punch; and, to complete

the business, my good aunt and uncle Bernard had the patience
to see and listen to our imitations; but my uncle, having one day read
an elaborate discourse to his family, we instantly gave up our comedies,
and began composing sermons. These details,
I confess, are not very amusing, but they serve to demonstrate that the
former part of our education was
well directed, since being, at such an early age, the absolute masters
of our

time, we found no inclination to
abuse it; and so little in want of other companions, that we constantly
neglected every occasion of seeking them. When taking our walks
together, we observed their diversions without feeli

believed to be clean.