[Trees-legal] wers, however,

Kundert introvert at nus.no
Sat Mar 20 11:23:06 CDT 2010

Due, for the manner

in which their duties have been

performed during this campaign. Captain Alexander, commanding the 4th Bengal Local Horse, and Major Cunningham, commanding the Poona Auxiliary Horse, with the men under their orders, have been of essential service to the army

in this campaign. The
arrangements made by Superintending-Surgeons Kennedy and Atkinson previous to the storming, for affording assistance and comfort to the wounded, met with my approval. Major Parsons, the Deputy Commissary-General, in charge of the department in the field, has been unremitting in his attention to keep the troops
supplied, although much difficulty is experienced, and he is occasionally thwarted by the nature of the country and its

inhabitants. I have throughout this service received the utmost assistance I could derive from Lieutenant-Colonel Macdonald,

my officiating military secretary, and Deputy Adjutant-General of her
Majesty's
Forces, Bombay; from Captain Powell, my Persian interpreter, and the other
officers of my personal staff. The nature of the country in which we are serving, prevents

the possibility of my sending a single

staff-officer to deliver this to your
Lordship, otherwise I should have asked my aide-de-camp, Lieutenant Keane, to proceed to Simla, to deliver this despatch into your hands, and
to have afforded any further information that your Lordship could have desired.

The brilliant triumph we have obtained, the cool courage displayed, and the gallant bearing of the
troops I have the honour to command, will have taught such a lesson to our enemies in the Afghan nation

as will make them hereafter respect the
name of a British
soldier. Our loss is wonderfully small considering the occasion, the casualties in killed and wounded am

believed to be clean.