[UC-ODDMUSIC] microtonal composition study group

Andrew Heathwaite gtrpkt at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 11:38:19 CDT 2009

Hi all,
ODDMUSIC U-C is hosting a "microtonal composition study group" every Thursday from 5:30 to 7pm during the "fall semester".  We've had one informal & one formal meeting, with 3 & 5 participants, respectively.  We want to open our doors to those who would find this of interest.
I use the word "microtonal" to refer to tuning systems outside of [our culture's monotuning of] 12-tone equal temperament - the standard piano/keyboard/guitar tuning which divides the octave into 12 equally-spaced intervals.  Since pitch systems are potentially infinite & 12-equal refers to one of them, "microtonal" covers a great variety of sounds & tools.
We're meeting to explore some of these systems together & to use them to compose.
If you think you'd be interested in:composing music with an emphasis on alternative pitch structuresgenerating & sharing new distinctions to speak about pitch (including distinctions best described mathematically)expanding (maybe breaking) your "ear" in good company...then please get in touch with Andrew Heathwaite about getting in on future conversations.  (Or surprise us some Thursday by showing up at Oddmusic at 5:30 - room 21A in the IMC.)
Andrew: gtrpkt at yahoo.com or 217.365.9496.
Please pass this along to anyone you know who might be tickled.
Thanks,Andrew
p.s.  Oddmusic is also hosting "office hours" every Sunday night from 7pm to 9:30 (room 21A in the IMC).  Consider visiting to check out our growing library of acoustic oddities & to talk projects in unusual music-making.  See also: blog.