[UC-ODDMUSIC] Microtonal Design Unconference 2011

Andrew Heathwaite gtrpkt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 11:39:06 CDT 2011

Microtonal Design Unconference 2011(Please forward this announcement widely!)

Oddmusic Urbana-Champaign and the School for Designing a Society present
A MICROTONAL UNCONFERENCE (wiki) (blog)
Tuesday April 19 – Saturday April 23, 2011 at the Independent Media Center in
Urbana, Illinois

Through  a series of historical accidents, Western society’s music  has come to
be dominated by a single tuning system, often called  “twelve tone equal
temperament.” This dominance is so pervasive that it  is often completely
invisible.  In this climate of intonational  monoculture, those who  oppose the
status quo with fresh and oddly-tuned  musics need DESIGN.

Microtonality  (or Xenharmonics) is a proposal to sing out of tune  with
conventional  wisdom and offer a badly-needed alternative to what  everyone
already  knows.  The School for Designing a Society is  currently holding
meetings  to “unstick the ear” in a seminar called  Microtonal Design, taught by
members of Oddmusic U-C.  Its participants  seek to collaborate and share  what
they care about in an experimental  format we’re calling an  Unconference.

The  ‘un’ in ‘unconference’ refers to a non-hierarchical  organization.  To
start, we’ll use a collaborative wiki to share plans  and desires, and  the
events will take shape from there.  It’s an  opportunity to present  &
collaborate on what we are calling  Microtonal Design  (compositions,
instruments, performances, and other  media) in a variety  of formats, as
determined by the desires of  participants.  We imagine an  intensive filled
with jams, recording  projects, collaborative  composing, manifestos, instrument
building,  brainstorming for the  future, research, etc.

The event is free and there are many capacities in which you might participate:
	* You  may decide to come to Urbana for the entire five days of the
Unconference, which begins in the afternoon on Tuesday, April 19, when   we
finalize the schedule with our special guests and current students   and
organizers.
	* Or  you may decide to come on Friday, April 22, for an all-day
interdisciplinary intensive which lasts until Saturday (IMC-OMNIA).
	* Or  may decide to come on Saturday, April 23, for a culminating  event: a
three-hour gala with workshops, performances, and various  other showings  and
events related to Microtonal Design, which will be  publicized in  Urbana.  You
may prefer to show up for the event and  participate as a  casual event-goer; or
you may bring something to  present.  In the latter  case, please get in touch
ahead of time.
If  you would like to participate in any capacity other than casual  event-goer
on Saturday, April 23, please start by editing the wiki page  for the
Unconference (anyone may edit, with or without a Wikispaces  account) and add
your name to the list or participants.