[UC-ODDMUSIC] The Angels of Minamisoma

Chris Vaisvil chrisvaisvil at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:23:44 CDT 2011

Minamisoma was a city in Japan that was destroyed by the earthquake and
tsunami of 3/11/2011.

I composed "The Angels of Minamisoma" back on March 15th 2011 with the idea
that suddenly the population of the city died and didn't quite realize that
they had become angels. This written for the Vox Novus Composer's Voice
series and was not selected. The call for scores gave a choice of percussion
instruments paired with flute. I chose a vibraphone as being one that suited
the picture I was trying to paint - spooky, a bit light hearted yet sad.

 As for the composition itself it is written in free tonality that is driven
by melodic and harmonic tendencies that I heard / imagined while
composing.Of course your mileage may vary. I took this as an opportunity to
explore various 12 note tunings, specifically Blue JI, Pythagorean JI  and
Marvelous dwarf 1/4 kleismic tempered duodene

The score for the piece is here:
http://micro.soonlabel.com/the_angels_of_minamisoma/The_Angels_of_Minamisoma.pdf

The Pythagorean version of the piece is here:
http://micro.soonlabel.com/the_angels_of_minamisoma/the_angels_of_minamisoma_phythagorean.mp3

This file and all of the other tuning variations can be played online at
http://chrisvaisvil.com/?p=806