[UC-ODDMUSIC] Vale of Dreams by Charles Griffes

Chris Vaisvil chrisvaisvil at gmail.com
Sat May 7 16:52:20 CDT 2011

This is not entirely Odd but I thought I would share it with my Urbana
friends.
Having worked out the technique I want to do this for more music - perhaps
yours!

This is an animated score video of Charles Griffes' impressionistic piano
piece "Vale of Dreams". Technically, Sonar X1, Pianoteq, Sony Vegas.

Watch on Youtube http://youtu.be/qK1rxIP8pkE

A picture of the composer http://www.basicfamouspeople.com/pictures/5518.jpg

The full quality video is available here:
http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/classical-music/Griffes_Vale_of_Dreams.wmv

Just the music
http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/classical-music/Griffes_Vale_of_Dreams_piano_only.mp3

I've had this midi file on my hard drive for quite sometime (several hard
drives actually since I acquired this in 1996!!) before I played and liked
it. It does sound a lot like Debussy - for me that is not a bad thing.

>From wikipedia:

After early studies on piano and organ in his home town, he went to Berlin
for four years to study composition with Engelbert Humperdinck and piano
with Ernst Jedliczka at the Stern conservatory. On returning to the U.S. in
1907 he began teaching at the Hackley School for boys in Tarrytown, New
York, a post which he held until his early death 13 years later.

Griffes is the most famous American representative of musical Impressionism.
He was fascinated by the exotic, mysterious sound of the French
Impressionists, and was compositionally much influenced by them while he was
in Europe. He also studied the work of contemporary Russian composers (for
example Scriabin), whose influence is also apparent in his work, for example
in his use of synthetic scales.

His most famous works are the White Peacock, for piano (1915, orchestrated
in 1919); his Piano Sonata (1917--18, revised 1919); a tone poem, The
Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan, after the fragment by Coleridge (1912, revised
in 1916), and Poem for Flute and Orchestra (1918). He also wrote numerous
programmatic pieces for piano, chamber ensembles, and for voice. The amount
and quality of his music is impressive considering his short life and his
full-time teaching job, and much of his music is still performed. His
unpublished Sho-jo (1917), a one-act pantomimic drama based on Japanese
themes, is one of the earliest works by an American composer to show direct
inspiration from the music of Japan