[UC-ODDMUSIC] JI tuning question

Chris Vaisvil chrisvaisvil at gmail.com
Wed May 11 08:32:42 CDT 2011

One of my goals is to try to create a JI tuning that doesn't resort to a
chain of 5ths or something like that in one direction and also doesn't worry
about octaves.

To try to do this I started from a just C major chord and did all of the
math in cents

C 1/1 0c
E 5/4 386c
G 3/2 702c

from here I extended to other notes

E to B is 3/2 = 386 + 702 = 1088

and I can also say that Eb - G is
702 - 386 = 315c = Eb

Then Eb to Bb is 702c so 315 + 702 = 1017

I continued on in this manner and found a (surprisingly) 17 tone tuning
though I have a problem with Ab being anomalously low.

My reality check says I'm re-inventing someone's wheel so are there any
comments, resources for what I'm trying to do?

My incomplete excel spread sheet is here:

http://micro.soonlabel.com/various/JI-chain.xl