[UC-ODDMUSIC] Ode to the Internet Underground Music Archive

Chris Vaisvil chrisvaisvil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:34:37 CST 2012

Back in the dark ages of the 90′s there was a cool site devoted to indie
bands and artists call the Internet Underground Music
Archive<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Underground_Music_Archive>.
It was a great site which hosted some very unusual music. Unfortunately the
site eventually went the way of the so many cool 90′s sites atrophied and
then disappeared altogether. The piece was originally improvised in 12
equal using a Roland GR-20 driving guitar, string, synth bass, and
percussion. Later I adapted it to other tunings – and these appear in order
of production. The 11 edt version is played at double time for variety.

**You can play or download the music from here
http://chrisvaisvil.com/?p=2099

I wrote the piece in 12 edo but it translated well (imho) to 7edo and 11
edt

Probably the most influential artist on the IUMA site for me was Chris
Gross who had a series of ambient piece based on the movie Nosferatu. The
most striking piece was one called "Behind the Veil of the World" which
featured bitonality in the form of a layer of sound with another
conflicting but quieter layer behind it. It gave one the sense of
"coloring" the foreground and movement between the two layers - in a sense
like how adding extra tones to triads color them but in a more profound and
deeper way. It is something I haven't fully explored with traditional
instrument samples. I think it could be used to good effect in the right
context.

I hope you enjoy this improvisation.

Chris