[Vip-recreation] CUSR Volunteers

Demetrius Wade dwade3 at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 13 23:24:08 CDT 2007

Hi gang

Summer is almost over!  It's gone by way too quickly for me, but I hope your
summer has been wonderful!

CUSR has an opportunity for fundraising by selling Pepsi at a tent this
Saturday, August 18  at the Downtown Festival of the Arts.  It will  be held
at West Side park on Church and University.  We need volunteers to help
during 2 hour shifts beginning at 9:00 am.  If you can help from either 9 -
11:00 am, 11:00 - 1:00 pm, 1:00 - 3:00, 3:00 - 5:00 or 5:00 - 7:00 please
let me know right away.  If we cannot find enough volunteers to help us
staff this, we might have to give it up.  We will make our decision on
Tuesday afternoon if we think we can pull this off.  This is a great
fundraising opportunity for us to raise money for our scholarship fund to
help our participants at a free or reduced rate for programs.  Please let me
know right away if you are going to be able to help us out!  I only need 2
people per shift!   There is a T-shirt in it for you!  : > )

Our second need is for a new venture, Special Olympics is beginning a new
program called Young Athletes.  The Young Athletes program is an innovative
sports program for children aged 2-7 with intellectual disabilities.  This
program will help the children improve physically, cognitively and
socially.  It will also raise awareness of the Special Olympics program.  We
would like a one on one ratio of staff and volunteers since the children are
so young.  It starts on  Saturday September 8th and runs through December 22
from 10:00 - 11:30 am  at our offices at Lincoln Square Village in Urbana.
Volunteers will go need to attend a special training with Jessi, our sports
coordinator. We ask for a committment for the entire program since the
children will really learn to count on their volunteer/coach, but will
understand if occasionally something pops up for you.  Please contact Jessi
at  jessica.bernstein at cparkdistrict.com if you have specific questions about
this new innoviative program.  Be part of history making in Special
Olympics!

Enjoy your last few days of summmer and I'll be in touch when you get back
to town!  Thanks so very much!

Kathy

--
Demetrius D. Wade