[Volunteers-arc-blood] Blood Drive

acastil2 at uiuc.edu acastil2 at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 13 12:22:03 CST 2006

Hello, all.

There will a blood drive this week.

DAYS: Tuesday, Feb 14th - Friday Feb 17th

TIME: Daily from 10 am – 4pm

WHERE: Illini Union in room 314

No appointments are necessary and walk-ins are welcome.

Please help save a life.

Below is further information about the Big Ten Blood Drive
Challenge.

Thank you,

The Office of Volunteer Programs
277 Illini Union
1401 West Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Dear Student Leader:

Greetings.  My name is Elizabeth Butler, and I am a donor
recruitment representative for American Red Cross Blood
Services.  I recruit sponsors for campus blood drives, and I
would like to invite you and your organization to participate
in the American Red Cross Big Ten Blood Challenge.

The American Red Cross in conjunction with several Big Ten
Schools has organized this blood collection competition in
hopes of raising awareness of the American Red Cross among
college students and expanding blood collection on college
campuses throughout the Midwest.  It is the mission of
American Red Cross Blood Services to ensure that a safe and
adequate supply of blood products is available to patients in
need of transfusion, and we are calling on you to support
this mission by sponsoring a campus blood drive on behalf of
your student group.

Seven of the Big Ten universities will be competing in this
year’s kick-off challenge.  The competition will begin
February 1st and conclude March 3rd, three days before the
kick-off of the Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament.  The
university that scores the most blood points during this
period will be declared the winner of the challenge and
presented a trophy at half-time of a Big Ten Tournament game.

Would you campus organization consider sponsoring a blood
drive during the challenge period?  As a sponsor group, your
organization would (1) choose the venue for hosting a the
drive, a location which is at minimum 1500 square feet in
area with adequate climate control, sufficiently clean and
free of infestation; (2) schedule the date in coordination
with the Red Cross representative; (3) appoint a chair and co-
chair from within the organization to coordinate the blood
drive directly with the representative.  The chair and co-
chair would take responsibility for leading donor recruitment
efforts on campus, determining the recruitment techniques
which best fit the needs of the group and appeal to its
philanthropic interests.  Your organization would most
importantly (4) recruit volunteer blood donors to give blood
then (5) provide a number of volunteers to aid American Red
Cross personnel in preparing for collection and facilitating
smooth operations the day of the drive.

If your student organization is interested in sponsoring a
blood drive in conjunction with the Big Ten Blood Challenge,
please contact me as soon as possible so we can begin
planning.  Contact me by January 20th for the best
opportunity to schedule the drive on the date of your
choice.   Thank you for seriously considering my invitation.
I look forward to working with you and your organization
during the Big Ten Blood Challenge.  Feel free to call me
during regular business hours at 800.728.3543, extension
1253, or e-mail me anytime at butleree at usa.redcross.org.
Together, we can save lives.  With your commitment, the
Illini might just bring home two Big Ten trophies!

Go ILLINI!

Sincerely,

Elizabeth E. Butler

Donor Recruitment Representative

American Red Cross

Heart of America Blood Services Region

Office phone: 800.728.3543, extension 1253

Cellular phone: 309.264.6847

E-mail: butleree at usa.redcross.org